Mushroom ID please

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Any chance that I have enough photos to be able to identify this mushroom? I found several of them after several days of rain.

I took the photos yesterday about 70 miles north of Houston in a wooded area with mostly pine and some oak, hackberry, yaupon, hickory and a few other tree types.

The small ones just looked like little grape sized tomatoes sticking out of the ground. The larger ones were about 6 inches tall. The stems were about 1/2 inch in diameter. They had a very large sponge-like bottom section. They were a very bright red color on top and light yellow underneath. The gills were very close together.

Any help in identification is much appreciated.

Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens Thumbnail by P_Edens
Keaau, HI

Maybe an Amanita.

Similar to the one at the top of the page on the Mushroom Expert.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/amanita.html

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Metrosideros,

I followed the ID key on that page and ended up with Amanita jacksonii. I think that is probably correct. The images do look identical to the mushrooms I was seeing. I had no idea it was so difficult to ID mushrooms. Next time I find an unusual one, I will dig it up more carefully and do a lot more tests (bruising, etc.).

Thanks for the link and the help to ID.

Patti

Keaau, HI

You're very welcome!

Aloha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.