Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by brendak654
Geronimo, TX

Nice shot. Looks like a place they would consider nesting.

They never look quite the same in a still picture as they do in real life. They are such a 'going' busy bird, running here and there, and rarely stopping.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks - yes they did consider nesting here. If you look really close you can see the eggs under the killdeer.

You are so right, they are a 'going' busy bird.

Geronimo, TX

Ooooh, Super Cool! I entirely missed that. You should change the caption (if you still can) to: "Killdeer on nest", or something similar.

It is amazing how camouflaged their eggs are. I remember finding a nest near my house one year. I only found it because the bird was on the nest. I carefully noted the location relative to weeds & trees. Went in to get kids to show them, and could not find it again. I am sure it was there, I just couldn't pick the eggs out of the background.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I doubt I can change the caption. In this thread I was going to post you a pix of the 4 eggs by themselves that the killdeer is sitting on, but I cannot seem to do that.

Enjoyed the tidbit about not being able to return and find nest. That's about right.

This spring some killdeer had eggs laid on the ground near one of my flowerbeds on an island in the middle of the pond. It had 3 eggs and the bird had a fit when I crossed the bridge to get to the island. I kept the dog at bay because I was sure she would probably disturb the eggs. The eggs disappeared a few days later. Maybe a snake or something - not sure, just know that it was not a good place for hatching toothpick legged killdeer. They would have had to cross the narrow bridge to get off the island................. Gee - these birds. Their a hoot!

Geronimo, TX

Somewhere I have (had?) a book that tells incubation times for birds. If I recall correctly, it is only a few days to hatching.

Haven't looked at the main posting for killdeers, but if there is not already a good one for nests, you should add your four-egger.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.