When to plant Daffodil bulbs in zone7b

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I have 100 huge Yellow Daffodils that I will be planting in 6 beds at the entrances to my Community-(a volunteer project) I had Petunias & White Salvia this summer. When should I plant them so they will not sprout this fall, but be pretty in the Spring? I have Bone Meal to put in the holes.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I am in 7a and wait until the ground is cool. So I plant in November or as late as early Dec. when the ground is below 60 degrees, but before the first frost date by a few weeks if possible. I plant them deep (8") for big ones and a little shallower for very small ones. I don't use bone meal as I have dogs and they would dig them up. I have planted narcissus that I got on sale as late as the end of Jan or in early Feb during a thaw. They came up just fine only a little later than normal, but by the next year they bloomed at the normal time and thrived ever since. Tough and easy to grow. We have about 400 named cultivars and so we have thousands in bloom each spring. Nice you are doing a community garden project. You can save lots due to your zone by buying them from Van Engelen or Brent and Becky's at their annual Nov. sale that starts around Thanksgiving or the week before. They usually mark all their bulbs down by 25 to 40% off and sometimes more and ship them out immediately which would be perfect for you. Best of luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Narcissus.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much- I got a great deal- the bulbs are as big as a large orange and 50 were only $15.00 at Lowe's. The bag is huge, and I really think there are more than 50!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Put them in a cool dark place until your garden is ready for planting as they have been most likely not stored in the best situation if they have been out in a box store already. But not to really worry as they are Narcissus which are pretty tolerant. Patti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.