Flowering Magnolia

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Any idea why my flowering magnolia has a couple of blooms NOW??? The end of September??? I bought it a year ago, only had about 5 or 6 blooms this spring. Now it is wasting buds...........they don't open all the way, just get big, pink, and dry up. Grrrr..............

What type of magnolia is it?

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I don't know, I think I lost the tag. I got it at WM........it's the big pink blooms.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

My saucer magnolia blooms off and on throughout summer but the big flush is in the spring when the leaves are just starting to come out. If your tree is not in full bloom right now, then I wouldn't worry about it. Chalk it up to weird things in nature. Besides it will take more than a few years to get a nice full blooming tree.

First pic was in April, second in August. Now it has a gourd vine growing up it and hopefully the gourd(s) will mature before frost. Mine is not the classic pink but more the purple/pink one but it blooms a couple of weeks after the pink ones bloom.

Last picture is of a drive by of a neighboring road with a full sized pink saucer magnolia. (ignore the flag)

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Hard telling where it was initially grown - it might just be settling in to weird midwest weather, especially with the temps going up and down so much this year.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

The tag is still on it...........it says "Magnolia-Jane"

That's a pretty one. I like the dark pink outside and the almost-white inside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.