Which Taxodium is this?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I used to have one but when I Google it, it becomes very confusing as to its true ID.

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Looks like taxodium ascendens to me.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I thought so too. I ordered 2 online from different vendors and didn't get that from either. Narrowing it down, this is coming up a lot.

taxodium distichum var. imbricatum nutans

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from dybbuk :
I thought so too. I ordered 2 online from different vendors and didn't get that from either. Narrowing it down, this is coming up a lot.

taxodium distichum var. imbricatum nutans

That's just a synonym of Taxodium ascendens 'Nutans'.

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Agree with Taxodium ascendens as to ID of the image.

There are several clones that I see in catalogues these days. 'Prairie Sentinel' is a handsome narrow form that has been around for decades. 'Debonair' is another selection.

There are several older specimens in Louisville parks that have survived the ravages of the public and of neglect, and shine on to this day. I don't think you can go wrong using this plant anywhere.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info. I have debonair and ascendens but both have feathery foliage. I'm presuming 'Nutans' is the distinguishing element. It's the upright alien finger-like appearance I'm after. If I'm making sense, does anyone know where I can get one?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have Nutans. It's new foliage is beautifully upright (see pic).
But I think it's only a feature of the emerging foliage.
My recollection was that Nutans was selected for narrow upright form.
I don't recall it being selected for unusual foliage, but it's been many years ago...
I bought mine ~15 years ago from a wonderful conifer nursery Coenosium Gardens.
I know you have extensive experience with conifer nurseries, maybe you already are familiar.
Their website used to be awful - clunkiest on the web.
I just went to their site now (to see if they're still in business)
http://www.cnos.biz/
Bob and Dianne Fincham were the owners.
From the home page on their web site, looks like Dianne just died this past summer. Very sad.
The rest of the site talks about fall '13 shipping, so I gather they've still been in business.
Whether they stay in business now or not, can't say.
I can't open the page with their plant list to see if Nutans is listed anyway.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2013 5:01 AM

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.