Neighbors property line is a foot away from our tree trunk.

Harleysville, PA

We have a bradford pear tree that we want to take down and the trunk is one foot away from the neighbors proporty line. If we hire a tree company with a grinder to grind the stump and roots will that dirt go over into their space or yard. The tree is about 12 years old and we would like it taken down but would a stump ginder invade their yard and what else could we use if not a grinder it get some of the root out. We just want to plant grass there.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2013 9:33 PM

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Two poles and a drop cloth strung between ought to prevent the tree fly a way debris from invading their space. The stump grinding folks may have some suggestions - I am thinking this is not a new concern for them.

I bought this stuff at Lowes that I used to deteriorate the stump and it worked wonderfully. Drilled a few deep holes in top of stump -- the a few holes in side of stump that met up with the top holes.... Filled the top holes with crystals and followed with water that carried it out to the side holes -- but it took more than a year to lift that stump carcass.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Good Rosie, but maybe the tree company that takes it down and grinds the stump would have some suggestions too. Surely that isn't the first time that question has come up with them.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

I've seen professionals hammer posts in the ground and put a 4x8 sheet of plywood between that keeps debris from flying in an unwanted direction. You should be fine in doing as you planned. Maybe you want to talk to your neighbor first just to explain the process to them. They should be happy that your taking the tree down, considering the type it is :)

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

There are ways to rot the stump. The one I heard about the other day said it takes about a year. Actually, that is about the fastest I have heard.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I haven't looked at this forum before, so this may be OBE. If you haven't had the stump ground yet, here are a few things to consider: the remains will be mostly wood chips or mulch, not dirt. The company I use grinds stumps up to a foot into the ground, as well as large roots. This produces piles of wood chips up to 2 feet high, so if you or your neighbor can't use the mulch, you might want the company to haul some of it away. Don't let them take it all, though, because otherwise you might need to buy dirt to fill in the hole.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

If the stump is not too huge, we just dug the dirt out around it to below the ground level and then we used a chain saw and cut it back and then put dirt over the surface to cover it. It will rot out faster this way. You can also put a chemical directly on the cut to keep it from resprouting and to help it rot faster. Maybe you could put a pot, or a birdhouse, birdbath, large rocks or such around the area to dress it up. Judging from your previous post re this, I'd suggest privacy fence lol you know, good fences.... good neighbors... Maybe some skinny shrubs like Pencil Holly?

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Frilly, I can attest to what you said. That is exactly what I did with a stump we had 3 years ago. Just a few weeks ago I was able to plant a small shrub directly on top of it because it had rotted away so efficiently. It also helps to not disturb the mushrooms that grow on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.