Is it too late to plant Baptisia seedlings?

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have spent the entire summer trying to get baptisia plants without breaking the bank. Kim_M graciously sent me one as a bonus in a trade but I wanted more!! Anyway, I grew some from seed and they are now 2 inches high but planting time is running out. Are they too little to plant in the garden? Should I just try to overwinter them inside?

This site doesn't like images from my iPhone. It turns them around and makes them fat as well. Oh well.....

Thumbnail by rteets
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

They should be fine planted now. I would just make sure to mulch them to help them get thru this winter then after that they should just take off on their own.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hardy plants have hardy seedlings... just be sure to keep them watered if it's dry in your area, same as you would for any new planting.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I planted some baptisia plants I got from Santa Rosa Gardens at various dates last fall and even during the winter, and don't recall losing any. They were a little bit bigger than yours -- but not by much! And yours are already accustomed to your conditions. I know you posted this almost two months ago, but I think you should be fine. I wouldn't cut them back, though....

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thank you! After all it took to get them I would be very upset if they didn't make it. So far they still look fine and they were planted about 7 weeks ago.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

mulching will be the key. If you have any shredded leaves you could pile on top on them just before the temps drop below freezing that would really help them through the winter.

Wish you much success with them. I love them and had many in my northern backyard.

Jan

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Then I have high hopes for them and their continued success!

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Again, many thanks. I have lots of leaves. I will make sure they are well mulched!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.