Yarrow

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Does anyone have a way to get rid of the common, white-blooming yarrow other than using a backhoe to dig several feet down and/or blasting it out with dynamite? It has totally taken over a very large bed. It is pretty when it first comes up, but by this time of the year, it is an ugly, dead mess. I have tried digging it out, but all that does is spread it around if I don't get rid of every tiny piece of root! Help!!!!!! before I have to move to an upstairs apartment to get away from it!!!!!!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

It may be against your practices, but I'm certain Yarrow will be eliminated by use of the mildest formulation of a non-selective herbicide like glyphosate (Roundup, for example).

Apply when temps are not cold, when rain won't wash it off without 4-6 hours, and when the plant is putting on fresh growth - like in spring. You should see browning and death in about a week.

Otherwise, if these kinds of chemical solutions are not your cup of tea, you probably will have to resort to a regimen of smothering and/or solarization. There's a number of ways that can be done.

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, VV for your information. I'm not averse to using Roundup....I use it on Bermuda grass and various other weeds. Where the yarrow is growing (everywhere), I will have to paint it on very carefully as it has invaded all my crinum, amaryllis, salvia, etc. etc. etc. I wish someone would have warned me that it was so invasive and I would have kept in a pot or left it where I found it instead of bringing it home and planting it in my largest bed!!!! Oh, well....you live and learn

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Indeed.

Though it may be unpleasant, maybe you could post some before, during, and after pictures as you take on the beast. It certainly would be an object lesson for those who may follow your experiences.

Good luck on your quest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.