CLOSED: I am looking for Wafer ash / Hops tree /seeds?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

If you have them , let's see if we can work it out ..^_^

Ptelea trifoliata

This message was edited Sep 23, 2013 7:59 PM

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I can collect these seeds. There is a tree I drive by daily that is usually loaded with seed every fall - but I've been away on vacation for a few weeks.

I can check tomorrow to see what has survived the deluge this weekend.

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello VV I should of closed this thread a few days ago . I have two small trees and some seeds of these as of a couple days ago ,
However if your looking for something , say , I will see if I have them, as you kindly offered in response to my search ..

It's not like they weight very much - perhaps you'd like some genetic diversity if you are looking to grow some out.

Even if you don't need all the seedlings, you could sure plant to redistribute those in case you have high germination success. I happen to work for a municipal parks department that doesn't plant enough of these...

I am always after native sourced viburnum. If you run across such fun ones as Viburnum acerifolium, V. molle, and V. rufidulum - I'd like to get some of those.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Occasionally I try to donate a tree or two , parks are often hesitant to take them here .
Oh Well ,
There is something growing at the fenceline I thought to be a Dogwood or Snowberry that looks a lot like V. molle x T
Does that really have white berries like the ones behind your three leaf close up photo in the plant files ?
I will get a pic tomorrow and see what you think...

???

Provide me a link to what you are referring to - "...three leaf close up photo..."

Viburnum molle has blue/black fruit like V. dentatum. It differs in that it has exfoliating bark - the only viburnum that has that trait.

As to extra Ptelea trifoliata seedlings...you could forward them to friendly recipients in the Bluegrass State. For sale or trade.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/189303/

This ,

I might be able to trade a few seedlings , when they grow

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Particular photo , with white berries behind .leaf .

Thumbnail by juhur7

Well....

You are seeing something is not there. There are some spots of dappled light on the foliage behind my hand, but absolutely no fruit in that picture. The range of grayishness is mulch on the ground.

This species - like many others - forms terminal flowers, from whence come the fruit.

IThis photo was taken of a specimen of Kentucky Viburnum at the Arnold Arboretum in late October 2009, on my way toward home after a Holly Society of America Annual Meeting out on Martha's Vineyard.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's the critter with the White berries.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Another one of my is it's
looks like sumac , no red , no poison pollens though

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

That critter with the white berries is definitely a dogwood - probably Cornus racemosa or very close kin. The colorful reddish pink pedicels/peduncles are additional ornamental ID feature.

That second one is definitely NOT a sumac or poisonous. It has simple leaves (not compound like sumac) that look very Elm-like in those closeups - including being eaten on by various critters. Could you back out a bit with the image? Or, if there's enough wood to go around, take a clipped stem and photo it in more sedate conditions? If I could see the buds at the base of those leaves, maybe I could separate it from several other native woodies that it resembles.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will try again (a pic) when weather is nicer ,and I have a better angle , it's not a big plant .

On the original topic...I picked a bag of seed off the Ptelea trifoliata tonight, and didn't even make a dent in its seed crop. It is loaded.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The buds on that a difficult ,

Next question to topic , Do get a lot of Giant Swallowtails or? with the Ptelea trifoliata .

I will still watch for the viburnums ...

There certainly are Giant Swallowtails and Tiger Swallowtails - and another one, Spicebush Swallowtail - around here. I don't know what qualifies as "a lot", but we have many types of butterflies flitting about.

There are also a lot of bird species around here, too, likely attracted by the year-round forage of insects, caterpillars, and fruit in all the seasons. A balance of sorts is struck.

What is relatively sure: if there are no plants for the larvae to feed on, then you won't have the possibility of many butterflies. Grow out seedlings of the Ptelea trifoliata, and get them planted anywhere that they can be accepted. They don't all have to populate your garden.

Thanks for watching for viburnums...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.