Vine hater looking 4 vine 2 love

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I had a common honeysuckle which suddenly died and i would like to replace it w/ blue flowering vine. Would like something that will go up a tree and fragrant. Suggestions, pls

Mid Gulf Coast, TX(Zone 9b)

Blue sky vine - thunbergia grandiflora - is a beautiful one for South Texas. There is one at the Master Gardners' Educational Garden in Victoria that covers a trellis and is covered in blossoms a great deal of the time. Don't know about fragrance, but its beauty outweighs fragrance.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

T. grandiflora doesn't have a 'smell', but it is a gorgeous vine. Mine is dripping with blooms right now - a beautiful site indeed!

Frag is not a deal breaker but good looks is. Will it take diffused light? also will it grow up a tree? I will post a pic of where it will go a little later. thanks both for your suggestions.

I was sort of thinking about wisteria but I see so many rampant vines here that look so ugly that it makes me think it might require more pruning than I am willing to give.

Mulberry, FL

Check out Hawaiian Sunset Vine very pretty red and gold not blue but a real eye catcher sky vine tends to take over unleash it and watch it go LOL

Id like blue b/c this area of my garden is planted w/ mostly blue and lavender plants and I am partial to monochromatic schemes. Here is the area when it will grow. I used to have a pic of the honeysuckle in its full glory and it was quite a view. Still can't figure out what happened to the honeysuckle.

today's pic is such a sad view, sigh

Thumbnail by vossner

dana I have grown strictocardia in a hanging basket and it was quite stunning. It is easy to get in my area and when I redo my hanging baskets next spring I will probably stick a plant of it somewhere.

Mulberry, FL

Plumbago gets tall mine here are 2-3 plants are almost 4 ft and always covered with the blue no hassles either

I luv plumbago but won't work for this project. Beam across two trees is 7-8 ft high

It should grow up your trees. You might have to give it a little help to get it up the trunks to your beam and the diffused light shouldn't be a problem. I would probably plant one at the base of each tree....just because I like things to get covered REALLY fast.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, it grows nicely up a tree, so yes, it will grow and bloom in diffused light. I have mine growing up a Sycamore tree, about 40' and another in a popcorn tree, about 30'. Mine bloom from August til frost.

Mulberry, FL

I have the varigated blue sky vine awesome variegation if your into this has the blue flowers just like the green leaf I have a couple starts here

You are so kind to offer, thanks. I stumbled into the var. sky vine and instantly knew it was the one for me. So, I placed an order with Accents for the Home & Garden, for a reasonable price. I have purchased from them before.

again, thanks for your offer. I look forward to watching them grow. But first, I need to clean the mess I have right now.

You will love the variegated sky vine....the variegation will really highlight your beam. When it has established, please take some photos to share.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Oh...not a lot of blue vines

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

hiya Gordon, good to hear from you.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Vossner, I'd try the /petrea-racemosa-purple-wreath-
Fairly tame, and when it is mature, it blooms a couple of times a month spring-fall. I have had 2 types in the ground for years.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Dang that's old post

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

That's a beautiful vine. I had never heard of it so had to look it up. Too bad it's not hardy in my zone!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

How about Passiflora incarnata? Blue, Fragrant vine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.