moss-various forms

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

HI, still looking for moss..wasn't able to move as much as I wanted to. Had a trade set up..it didn't finish.
Have various plants and stuff..hardy to at least zone 5a.

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

What kind of moss are you looking for?

Ken

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wondering the same thing.

HI, hardy moss for zone 5. Would love any kind, as am working in a very large shade bed at my new home.Years ago, when traded for moss..got some that was like a green, Portabella mushroom and some that looked like tiny ferns..I just love the gentle aspect of it.
If you know your moss by name, I would be very happy to look it up. I do try to keep it well watered, but not always wet.
Much appreciated. Marcia

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

OK,you are looking for ground cover then.

Mostly, The shade garden also has rocks...Lots of rocks..all over..under vines etc. I would love to clear some of the plants out, and add moss for garden interest...so that I can enjoy looking at them instead of falling over them..no kidding... the "stream" of vinca vine looked level to me.!!
Marcia :)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Every so often I have had root or two of sphagnum growing where I had placed it in a ground cellar , All there is here is the green native that grows on cement blocks or rocks in mostly shade , This spring it was growing on the patio carpet from the rain and cooler weather , I will get a pic or two tomorrow .

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's pic's it's everywhere '
#1 Where I've been digging .
# 2 couple of inches long on cement foundation
# 3 end of the blocks it's growing on new growth this season

Native ; nothing to impressed by , except when it looks like a rock fountain stacked a few feet high . Makes oxygen like algae from what I understand .
nice to have though and your neighbors likely have tons of it

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

That looks like fun, my neighbors have lots of lawns...lots and lots of lawn around here..so moss would be appreciated. Do you have enough to share?
Do you have any other hardy varieties?
Would you like a trade or postage?
Marcia

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I believe these are two types of native , that is all I (that has me) I have here for now , As said it has me , it's here , where it has always been .

If you have a have a few Thalictrum (rue seeds I will take those in trade if you want to do Postage we can do that also ,
How much would you like . ?
This is mostly a shade plant , as you likely know , but it will grow in a little sun in wet weather or lot of misting with water .
I can press as much into an envelope as I can a small box , or can see what I have for a small shipping box , Either is usually a couple $'s postage like 2,30 -2.74 .(I shouldn't post things like that here , but thought I would this time .
Likes to grow on limestone , old concrete thing like that , ..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

How big a square ? are you trying to cover with moss ?
Gives me an idea of how much to send .
It is either a Club or a Hook moss , some of it is separate from other growing clumps , so it could be both .

This message was edited Sep 28, 2013 1:09 PM

Portland, OR

I have sheets of the stuff I would be happy to trade. Are you looking for other happy shade plants? I also have kenilworth ivy and hardy cyclamen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.