worm invasion

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I just have to tell this true story. I recently sent some orchids to a nice gal in New York City. One of the plants was a terrestrial orchid, Spath. plicata 'purple' and I sent it in its 4-6" pot. I grow these plants on the ground, under large oak trees during the mild months.

When the lady got the plants, she decided to re-pot them. When she took the potting soil/root ball out of the pot she discovered worms. Big, bad earth worms, what we call "red wrigglers" here in the south. We consider worms a good thing. They not only enrich the soil but are a good indication of soil balance. Well, apparently this lady thought they were pests, something that might escape and invade her apartment. Her words to me were: "I can't have creepy crawlies in my apartment".

I explained that since these plants are growing outside, sitting on the ground, sometimes earth worms will go through the drainage holes and take up residence in the pots. I told her if they are "happy" in these pots, that is where they will stay. Unfortunately, my explanation came too late - she had already trashed the worms!

She has been good natured about all this and we have corresponded several times, back and forth. Her email just a few minutes ago asked me (she was serious) whether I would ever put these orchids, with worms!, in my home. I assured her I do it all the time. I never know what pots have earth worms and what pots don't, but know perhaps a majority that come in from being on the ground have worms. I don't think I have ever seen one "escape" their pot!

This is all so funny to me. We "country-bumpkins" value our worms. "City-slickers" fear them. One is never too old to learn new things.

Ripley, MS

She didn't know she was getting some little tillers for the pot-LOL--

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

I think she flushed her little tillers!

Ken

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That is soooo funny! She should have put them in a box and sent them back to you where they would have been welcome! LOL Poor earthworms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.