Repot or ReBasket? a Vanda

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I've had this Vanda for a few years. It hangs under a tree in the summer and in a nice humid bathroom in the winter. It has bloomed pretty faithfully each summer.

This year it has started growing roots outside the basket; that is, further up to plant. (See the photo) It is also getting ready to bloom.

Question: Can I leave it as is or do I need to do something? And...what would that something be?

Any help is appreciated! :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Vandas really don't need a basket, pot or any medium at all. They grow with their roots hanging down like that, and most are sold completely bare-root.

I don't think you need to do a thing except keep doing what you've been doing. It looks healthy and if it blooms every year, you're doing very well.

If it wasn't so dark outside, I'd post a picture of one of my Vandas hanging on a wire with nothing but leaves and roots. But here's one I took at a local grower, and I bought two of these pretty little guys. They have both doubled in size over the summer with all the rain we had. You really can't overwater a bare-root Vanda.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

What Elaine said.

Jim

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Elaine and Jim :) I thought it might be ok, but was concerned if I needed to give it more support. I may give it an extra attachment to the wire but otherwise, I'll let it do it's thing, as you suggest.
Many thanks! (Love those yellows in your photo.)
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.