New tree peony - needs help!

Leacock-Leola-Barevi, PA(Zone 6b)

I bought a tree peony which appears to be a division from the main plant. Although there are many stems, it does not look like there are much roots. Can someone with tree peonies growing experience advise me on how I can best help it to survive and grow? How can I get the feeder roots to grow? Will this tree peony make it? Thanks in advance. Karen

Thumbnail by kousa2012
Kansas City, MO

It appears that you could cut just above the junction and have two plants. I agree that it appears to be a division, and a nice one at that. You will need to dig a deep hole for this one. The section on the bottom appears to have feeder roots but the top section does not show any. I would plant so that the portion with the eyes/top section is about 5 inches below the surface with some of the branches above the surface. The stems have the ability to grow roots so the bottom portion of the stems should be below the surface of the ground.

THank you for your advice, ah3815. I don't know if I dare to divide. I just hope the open cut part will not rot before the tree has a chance to heal. Do you advise that I cut off some stems to balance the growth with the available roots?

This message was edited Sep 19, 2013 9:37 AM

Kansas City, MO

The open part probably has already dried which should block any rot. I would leave the stems. They may or may not die before becoming established but they will provide nourishment to the roots as they die back. Next year or so you can decide to prune for shape if you want.

ah3815, I took your advice and divided where you recommended to make two plants. The one with the root I planted in the ground and the one with not much root I planted in a grow bag. Out of desperation, I also tried to graft a stem following the method shown on Cricket Hill website. I hope at least one makes it. The woody parts look brown and hard but the buds are still green. That is hopeful, right? I guess I won't know for sure if these make it until spring. Karen

Kansas City, MO

Sounds good. Your description of the woody parts with green buds sounds good. Some tp's will have brown buds at this time of the year. As the weather becomes cooler your buds will turn brown so when you see them do not panic.

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

Can I put a herbaceious peony, (blooming size). in a 1/2 whiskey tuband grow it where there is high shade? Last year I grew a intersectional one which bloomed pretty well in a 20 x 20"pot, although not as well as it had the first year I bought it. I think it makes a great statement in the shady garden, but my question is : Was I just lucky , or would it not continue to bloom well. ARF USDA Zone 6

I am sorry, arfitz. I have no experience growing any types of peonies in a container. The problem with growing herbaceous peonies in the container as I remember reading somewhere is that the roots become twisted and tangled so that the plant would decline and die eventually. I have heard that tree peonies do well in container.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.