How about a new thread
we were here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1312471/

The image is from a Fine Gardening article on fauna and flora.Its a WOW
http://www.finegardening.com/item/29786/flora-as-fauna
Leta all work on something similar for our plots this winter LOL

Thumbnail by ge1836
South Hamilton, MA

You could talk to your bear about it. I think that he would be jealous.

Thomaston, CT

Wow....those are awesome! The dog looked like Rosemary's Cliffie! Sounds like you bought some lovely plants, Rosemary.......Bill, the rock project sounds interesting......and expensive!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhhh gawd I never considered the bear.Guess I should just do the gorillas,dont cha think?

Thomaston, CT

Anything you choose to do would be wonderful, Jo......I wouldn't know where to start!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Ahem. No geishas or swans here, but today I got some more bags of 99cent soil into the ground, planted more mixed tulips into the white peony garden, added a flame azalea to the "natural" garden, and 8 conca d'oro lilies to the butterfly garden on the hill because I understand they shrug off the red lily beetle. Until the mulch goes on top, the soil colors are really strange.

Jo, maybe the bear would like a pet.

Thomaston, CT

Lily beetles don't decimate my Time Zone or Conca d'or lilies....stems are too thick I guess! Sounds like your yard is coming along quickly!

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

I just looked them up. Both are lovely, but Time Zone really appeals... I've sworn off buying more lilies because of the scarlet lily beetles. I'll spray what I have, but that's it. I thought only trumpet lilies withstood them? I'm finding the differences between some types hard to comprehend...

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

There's a little fertile strip full of plants on my hill, but the dessert does seem to be retreating a bit with more soil and new plants coming in :)

Black Beauty lily stood up very well in ag. school research, so that's why I have them already and they did fine, and yes the researchers thought the trumpet lilies and anything with thick tissue were especially resistant. Beetle predators obviously did make an appearance here, but it was a bit after the beetles started chewing. Now I have to check out Time Zone too! Even if they look a little worn, I refuse to spray since hemlocks get all the spraying and systemic attention here.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

A couple of years ago my Tiger Lilies were eaten to the ground, just gone. Since then I use Spinosad religiously, and keep the population- and the damage- down to a minimum. I keep the bottle close by the main plantings so it's close at hand. Every time I think they're wiped out and start to relax I see some again, so I just keep on spraying.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow. I've seen some pictures of lily skeletons but not complete decimation. I wonder if the government t shutdowns will affect the lily beetle programs?

Thomaston, CT

Better not...they are the bane of my garden! I planted 3 Black Beauty lilies in late June....they are all budded, no insect damage, but I'm not sure if they'll bloom before frost.....

South Hamilton, MA

Afraid that I have solved the problem by not planting lilies.

Thomaston, CT

I can't give up lilies, I really love them....yesterday I bought 2 different kinds of allium at WFF. I picked up a small bag of snowdrops....$30! I dropped them back quickly!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.