When to plant poppy seeds?

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

hello poppy lovers !

I have some poppy seeds - California and some other ones. I think most of them are annual.
I live in the Pacific Northwest and I wanted to sow outdoors. When do you guys think would be a good time to do that?

Is now a good time ?

Thanks!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

If they are California poppies I would think you should wait til spring. Course, you are in a zone 8 so maybe that is warm enough and the winter slight enough that they would be just fine out doors. Maybe someone else can chime in on them. Any others could be sown now. I am going to do so up here when the dead garden stuff is trimmed off and I can see where I would like them to grow. Problem I have is too many seeds of various colors but basically the same kind of poppy. The compulsion to save seeds needs therapy I think.

Tobyhanna, PA(Zone 5a)

It really all depends on the weather. I've had California poppies bloom early and be done in July. This year my direct sown California poppies are still blooming now in October and I'm in Zone 5a. We had a very cold, rainy spring into early summer, so I sowed my seeds later than usual. I direct sowed them in late May, but they didn't germinate til the end of June, beginning of July. Mid July they were growing well and they started blooming in late August. They germinate in about 20 days in soil temps 65-70 degrees and they love sun. Mine are pretty much growing in gravel and I hardly water them. I'm hoping they will reseed, but our winters might be too cold. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

I would think since you're in a much warmer zone 8a, you could direct sow them anytime from November through early January (they actually will benefit from a bit of winter chill) and once the stronger early spring sun raises temps to 55 and above, they will germinate. The seeds should be barely covered since they need light to germinate. You should have flowers by mid spring. They like poor soil and plenty of sun.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I have C/poppy for years here that just reseed itself without any help from me. The other annuals do need a chill period. Be it in the fridge or outside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.