It wasn't my fault

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

It wasn't my fault. They jumped in my cart. All 20 of them. They were calling me. I didn't plan to buy so many hostas (Moerheim, Great Expectations, undulata variegata, Hyacinthina). But.....

THEY WERE $1 EACH.

Once they start to look "ratty" they get marked down a bunch. Lucky for us they come back looking like heaven next spring. :)

Washington, DC(Zone 7a)

You're lucky they didn't carjack you and take you to a more expensive nursery. :)

Cape May Court House, NJ(Zone 7a)

Good one Zeb!
I can't find any that cheap. Maybe next year I will plan a vacation at the end of october to drive up and down the east coast and stopping at every Lowe's and Home Depot (and any other nursery's I can find) just to sniff out hosta bargins.
Do you think AAA would do a trip tik for this!!!????
sue

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

hey smilin32 good for u and u are lucky and i am sure u are happy to get that bargain. enjoy with ur plants.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Lowe's or HD????? gotta go!!!! might get some for our anniversary if I can find some that cheap.

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

Way to go smilin32, did you buy that many so that you could share them with all your friends here.
trailingon

I bought these at Home Depot, though I suspect Lowes will be doing likewise if not already. Our Lowes didn't have much of a selection anyway. HD had over a hundred just a couple of weeks ago last time I checked them out.

Yes, I'll gladly share. C'mon over. Pick out your favorite. We can have hot cocoa and fresh bread by the fireplace (if it ever cools down again).

My only request is that you must tell me (even if you have to lie) how great my gardens look. (just kiddin) I'm new to all of this and I need the positive reinforcement. :)

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

Smiln32, Good for you. Glad to hear when newbees can get good bargains & I like all your selections, but you didn't name all of them unless you got dups of the ones you listed.
Jan

Jan,

Duplicates...their selection was not the best. I'm extremely happy, though.

I'm not a hosta lover necessarily for the number of different ones I can get. I just love them all and don't really care as much about their names, just how they look.

Plus, I'm sharing some with my mom. I'll take them to IL when I drive up for Thanksgiving.

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

smiln32,
Were in Illinois are you drivin to for Thanksgiving? Anywhere near Peoria? I live about 25 miles SE of there. If you're in the vicinity, it would be nice to meet you.
Jan

I'll be headed to the St. Louis area. You're a little bit north of there, I believe.

I wish I could come and see you though, but after driving for 10+ hours with two girls (one under the age of 2), I think getting in the car for another ride would be a crazy idea. :)

Just met Jody and her mother last night, by the way. We had a very nice visit.

Longview, TX

The hosta selection here is pitiful. You are so lucky you ran into those bargains.

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

smiln32, St. Louis is about a 3 hr drive from here, so I don't blame you, I wouldn't want to drive that much further with kids either. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving there & a nice visit.

Thanks, Jan. I hope you have a great holiday, too. I'm just thrilled that I don't have to be the master chef this year. :)

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm having Thanksgiving here again this year. Two of my daughters & their families won't be able to make it. Oldest lives in Calif. & the other in Indiana. The one in Indiana usually comes, but their oldest is 16 & there is a church Youth Convention the day after Thanksgiving that he has went to the last couple years & they didn't want to go off & leave him this year & didn't want to drive right back for him to go, so they said they weren't coming this year. I can understand, but will miss them.
But there will still be 17 or 18 here. My DH had 3 boys & I had 3 girls (yeah, the Brady Bunch! lol). This 3 boys & thier families are coming & there are 4 each there & my youngest daughter, her DH & DS will be here, & then there is my DH & me. Sometimes someone will bring a friend, but that is ok, because there is always plenty.
I'm fixing the turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, rolls & pumpkin pies. Each family is bring a dish to pass, which is usually scalloped corn, green bean casserole & the chinese noodle salad & I forgot what the youngest son's wife is bringing. They just got married earlier this year, she had 2 children from a previous marriage. I let her decide what to bring & I don't remember what she said. I also fix the cranberry/orange relish.
Jan

You're making me hungry...my fault for reading this just before lunchtime, I guess.

Sounds like a great family, Jan. We, too, will have a houseful at my parents with cousins, a family from church, me and my sister and our families and on and on.

I can't wait.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.