How to Grow Basil without Downy Mildew?

Maynard, MA

Are there any good strategies for avoiding downy mildew when growing any kinds of sweet basil?

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I have never had a problem growing Basil- all it neds is good circulation of air and planty of sun- some shade is OK.

Maynard, MA

Hi Jo,
I never had a problem growing it until this year, when I discovered that a lot of people are having major problems with it. Here's a link that explains:
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/NewsArticles/BasilDowny.html

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I guess it hasn't come to WA yet- sorry to read about it spreading like that.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

this has been a bad year because of the persistant rains in the Northeast for downy on a whole wide range of plants.

Richland is likely too dry to get downy but over on the west side of the cascades downy is a big problem in a number of plants.

It prefers wet cool conditions so it shows up often time in the early spring or in August once the nights begin to cool.

Fungicides can help but must be applied early to get it.

Maynard, MA

@drobarr--I've heard that seeds themselves can carry downy. Can dry weather keep plants from developing downy if the seed carries it somehow?

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes seed can carry diseases. But for a disease to develop two things are needed...a source of innoculum, and conditions for the disease to develop. If one is missing you will not have disease.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.