Down Under pond now, September 2013

noonamah, Australia

I'm at the opposite end of the seasonal cycle, but still our dry season. Thought it might look a bit strange posting this in the "end of summer" thread when it's actually end of winter here.

Since my new pond is completely dry I got the tractor into it and dug it deeper. Found a sheet of corrugated plate steel, about 6mm thick. Bigger than the tray of a pickup truck (and probably as heavy). I couldn't even lift one side of it, but with the help of the tractor that's out of the way now. Probably won't get time to concrete the pond before the rains come so I might just have to let it go natural again this season. I'm planning to plant a Victoria amazonica in it, I can get seeds from Thailand, currently 10 for $12.99 plus whatever for postage.

The first pic is the pond last season. Second is after heavy rains. Third is the corrugated plate steel. Last is how the pond looks now after the extra digging.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze Thumbnail by tropicbreeze Thumbnail by tropicbreeze Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Your pond looks beautiful natural. I take it you want to cement it to keep water in it year round. Thats a good idea. Good luck with your project.
Remember "Rome wasn't built in a day".
I have to keep telling myself that when I run out of patience with waiting for a project to be done.
I just need a load moe energy.
Bonnie

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Good luck with your pond project. It will be lovely to have water in it all year long.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

What a beautiful setting! If you're able to keep water in it year round, it will make a wonderfully relaxing area. The Victorias have jagged sharp edged leaves, so be cautious if you're actually going IN the pond once you plant them. They have always intrigued me with their huge leaves! Good luck with them, send pictures as you go along, we'd love to see what you do.

noonamah, Australia

Thanks for the comments. I always have too many projects running at the same time but if I can concentrate/focus on this one there's an outside chance it might get done before the rains come. At the moment I'm in the south west of the country doing a wildflower tour with a group of friends. It's one of the world biodiversity hot spots. But raining and cold. Back home it's hot and dry. If it wasn't for the amazing profusion of wildflowers I know where I'd rather be, LOL.

Couch Honeypot, Dryandra lindleyana.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! That sounds like a great time! It's always fun to do something with "groupies" who are all in to the same thing! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.