Fig Rust

MacDonald, KS

Hi! I was wondering if i could grow figs here in kansas if I brought them inside for the winter. I read somewhere that fig trees hardly have any pests or diseases and I thought "thats for me!". I already had one dwarf fig tree that overwintered on my back porch and was coming back strong so I ordered 3 more trees. I put them all outside this summer.
Well we had a very cool and rainy spring (which we never have!) and the leaves started getting spots on them and dying. The internet said it was fig rust. My problem is there doesn't seem to be any cure for it unless you use some kinda copper solution which also happens to kill bees, which I refuse to do. So I get to just sit by and watch my trees die? I keep the dead leaves cleared away, they are mulched and get full sun. Isn't there anything I can do? Its finally hot and dry here like it usually is, but the rust holds on, and my trees have very few leaves left. Can somebody please help me???

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

You can try Serenade organic fungicide. It contains a Bacillis bacteria and has activity on most rusts.

Copper though organically approved, its a very toxic heavy metal. It is very effective though and broad spectrum killing almost all fungi as well as bacteria. You would be just as well off using a fungicide like captan.

I am in Zone 6 and have been growing hardy figs in my area for the last 4 years in the ground. Brown Turkey is the variety. I havent had any diseases or pests yet.

MacDonald, KS

Thank you very much, Drobarr, for taking the time to answer me. About Serenade, does that mean it'e non-toxic to bees and other things? My trees are in pots near my ponds, but my property is small and I can't have them anywhere else. Would you happen to know? Thank you so much for your time.-SV

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

Seranade is non-toxic to beneficial insects, mites, bees and other non-target organisms. You are essentially spraying a soil bacteria that has fungicidal properties. Probably the water from your hose with the chlorine in it is more toxic.

http://www.agraquest.com/agrochemical/products/fungicides-serenade-max.php

MacDonald, KS

Thank you so much Drobarr, you are awesome. You are the only person who has been able to shed a little more light on something I could do that did'nt involve chemicals. I have never used any insecticide or chemicals on my garden and didn't want to start now. My garden center doesn't carry it but I'm assuming I can get it online. Thank you so much again...-SV

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

very cool! Thanks, DrO, I added some to my Amazon cart! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.