TEA ROOM #124

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
I know its been quiet in the Tea Room for a while but I thought it was time for a move back nearer the road. The walk along through the blossom trees is quite lovely at this time of year for us here in Australia.
Spring has put out her pretty blossom dresses all over the place.
One doesnt realise just how many wild fruit trees are around, along the roadsides, until they blossom.
Its a nice morning here but the cold has not left just yet. It is expected to get very chilly over the next few days again.
I could do with a bit more sun as I sit here with my box of tissues, ready for the next hay fever sneeze....lol

My garden is looking very green and so pretty with all the bulbs coming out . The daffodils are lasting so much longer this year. There are more of the later ones s till to open.
The roses are full of new buds just waiting to pop open in the sun.
I also see the beginnings of buds coming on the epiphyllums.

I hope you are all enjoying lovely weather where ever you are. I know winter is creeping closer in the northern hemisphere, but you will all enjoy your beautiful Fall colors before then.

Better go back and put up the sign post so people can find us.

We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1322483/

Happy gardening and stay warm and safe
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Christchurch, New Zealand

been sunny here the last few days, we are in for strong winds, up to gale force.
Already had my potted cabbage tree blow over, I left it down as it would only go over again.

we have been on tenterhooks at work, they are looking at us moving shop - or closing down!
Hopefully one of the alternative sites will gain board approval & I will still have a job at the end of the month.

We really like the shop in New Regent Street. It was a jewellers for many years before the earthquakes, they still own it but moved shop to another location to trade until things were sorted with restoration & reopening of the cbd.

New Regent St is an incredible heritage site - built in the 1930s it is Spanish Mission style & probably my favourite st in ChCh.
I used to love wandering through there on my lunch breaks when I worked just across the road at the Press

http://newregentstreet.co.nz/

There are another couple of possibilities in a mall that has been refurbished.
As long as I still have a job I don't mind catching two buses to get there.
Already catch two for the trip to town anyway.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Looks like a lovely nice street to set up shop. I'll be right over to set up my Gibson Guitar & Music store! We toured the Memphis factory last week, impressed with their handmade instruments. Wife Ellen is in the music scene, so much enjoyed this trip.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad Thumbnail by lycodad
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Glad you all are enjoying your Spring season, hopefully ready to get your veggies planted. Always seems to be the most pleasant time of the year. We've gone from blistering hot to quite chilly in our travels, but now home to rather comfortable temps at the moment. We like to tell folks that if they don't like the weather in New York they should stay around for a few minutes and it will change.

Our latest Charley icon adventure took us to Churchill Downs in Lexington Kentucky, home of Americas greatest horse race, the Kentucky Derby. No races were on tap for today, but we had a very nice tour of the grounds and racing museum. Charley even got to lounge in the most impressive paddock area I've ever seen. This is Ellen having fun in the crazy hat store, would you believe some of them were $200-300? (She didn't buy one)

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad Thumbnail by lycodad Thumbnail by lycodad Thumbnail by lycodad Thumbnail by lycodad
Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
Not a great morning here, but at least the wind has dropped and its not raining.
I havent done much outside lately because of my feeling like a rung out dishcloth with the hay fever.

I will get out later and see what the wind has knocked over.
Plenty of loose branches laying around to be picked up.
I am glad I finished the new shade area before the wind arrived as the shadecloth stopped a lot of wind damage to the bromeliads that are now hanging under it.

Teresa, that certainly looks to be a beautiful street. Lovely to be able to work in beautiful surroundings.
I hope things work out for your employers in moving shop, so you are not out of a job.
How is Miss Mischief going ?

Al, what a lovely trip you had. I do envy you being able to see that beautiful racecourse.
I would love to attend a Derby there.
Í've been to our lovely Flemington racecourse here for about 15 Melbourne Cups, but to attend the Kentucky Derby would be the ultimate trip for me.

I imagine Ellen had great fun trying on hats and she would have far too much sense to pay such outrageous prices for just a hat...lol
That Guitar & Music store would have been of great interest to anyone into music.

Charleen, I can just see Charley and friends carefully checking out the fence to see if its electrified yet...lol
They will love getting more new hay again too.
Looks like you are still having some nice weather.
I keep waiting for the sun here and hubby said I may just get it hotter than I really want , come summer.

Hello Dianne, Anthony, Chrissy and anyone else popping in.

Heres a treat for morning tea. .....Chocolate Almond Torte..

I am off to see if I can find a nice place to sit in the bit of weak sun that is outside now.

Stay safe and warm
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Just returned from the Victorian Floral Art Conference in Geelong.
For anyone who likes this kind of art I have posted the pictures on the Caloundra Floral Art Society Website. Just go to the website link

http://caloundrafloralart.webs.com/

Click on the Victorian Floral Art Conference link in red on that page. Enjoy!

Hugs
Marlene

well it seems unlikely we will move to New Regent St.
Apparently the CEO thinks it looks half derelict...
not sure when he saw it - he moved out of ChCh after the earthquakes, chicken!
The street was getting run down but has been refurbished & all bar 5 shops are pristine.
The 5 have an owner that opted out of the rebuild to do things themselves - one in every crowd.
But the Retail Manager loved the mall option & is going in to bat for us when he meets up with the CEO tomorrow.
Fingers crossed!!!

http://www.barringtonshopping.co.nz/

Had a very hot day here yesterday.
I am doing a lot of watering and hubby is not happy with me. He keeps reminding me of the excess water bill.

Have the Buderim Garden Club Festival in October so I am trying to get the pots in tiptop shape.

Merino, Australia

Good morning.
Its freezing here this morning, but none of the forecast really bad weather arrived.
The day was mild and dry for shopping yesterday. Luckily we were home before the wind came up and the afternoon became really cold.

I bought more orchid mix to pot up the broms and I also potted my brug cuttings.
We are going over to Mt Gambier next week so I will be on the lookout for new plants.
Still lots of daffies out. They are certainly lasting very well this year.
My winter hippie is finally out also. Very late this year.
The Dragon Lily is getting quite large and I found a small one coming up where I moved the clump from.

I love all the new growth on the ferns once winter starts to go. They are all looking so lush and green now.
The clivias seem to enjoy the cold.

Teresa, that shopping center looks a very nice place to be. I hope all goes well with any move your boss makes.
I love shopping centers. You never know just what small shops you will find in them.
There is a huge one over in Perth (WA) that my daughter and I would spend all day in.

Hello Marlene, nice to hear your garden is doing well despite the heat.

Hello Anthony, Charleen, Al and Dianne.
Also anyone else looking in.
Time I had another cuppa and turned the heater on to warm my6 feet.

Heres a treat for morning tea. ...Berry Shortcake.

Take care everyone and stay warm and dry.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Bumble mule got lost again. Dag gum mule is always blundering around. But we found you....
You are all springing into life now Jean and it is so pretty.
Al, wish I could have been with you and Ellen, I know she loves to shop. We had such a fun time...
I am so happy Charley gets to visit all these place. He is a well travelled mule.....

today's weather has been defiantly sunny, prediction was for wet...
took the barking weasel to the dog park as she was going stir crazy.
Baz tried to take her the other day but it was closed due to all the trees down & continuing high winds.
Dog park was the only section of the Groynes open today so Sugar had a wonderful time tearing around with other dogs.
She was very surprised when we didn't go home, we took her out to the hangar & she waited patiently (mostly) until we were done with sorting a few more boxes.
Our pile for the dump has grown & the boxes to go home are lighter.
Then to Sugar's delight we visited friends out that way who have two mini schnauzers...
so more romping & playing for the weasel & now she is home,in bed, tuckered out :)

Must admit I am feeling beat too.
I looked at the gardens this morning & noticed tiny lily leaves poking up .
Not sure if it seedling ones or the existing lilies coming up.
Time will tell, the older ones will be bigger & flower come summer.
The babies won't :)

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

FOUND!- been busy, had the Spring Flower Show on the weekend, IM STUFFED!...........Magnificent lily shoots here X 800...very comforting to the eye ... Hi over there Charleen /Charley....

Anthony, you know we want to see pictures.... Charley sends big warm nuzzle of friend ship to you ....

Merino, Australia

Go9od morning.
Its a bit colder here this morning after a beautiful day yesterday. A bit of rain again overnight but the plants love it.
We went over to Mt Gambier for a drive yesterday and enjoyed a good wander around all the shops.
We went first to the large Masters store where I bought 2 small azaleas and a lovely white rhododendron which has pink buds opening to the white flowers.

Later at Bunnings I also found a couple of very tattered pots of Red Fountain grass and Japanese Blood grass.
There are new shoots so they should do well.
Plus a large pot of Hyacinth bulbs.

We had lunch at the Chinese place in the large shopping center.
I also splurged on a new handbag.
Hubby bought himself a few odds and ends and some new shoes.
A very nice day out in perfect weather.

Today I will plant my new grasses and do a bit of cutting back of a few plants that are hanging over the paths.

Teresa, sounds like Sugar had a perfect doggie day out.
Your lilies will be beautiful later. Mine are popping up everywhere now.

Anthony, how did you do at the show ?
We love to see pics of your winning plants.
You will be getting lost among your lilium plants by now. We may have to send out a search party to find you when they all finish growing tall then flower .

Charleen, Charley always finds me. He loves his cookies too much to ever get lost . He could find the Tea Room on the darkest night...lol
I hope all is well in your area. Its sad to see the devastation caused by the floods in Colorado and the awful bushfires In California .

Al ,hope your weather is behaving now you are back from your travels.
We used to say the same thing about our changeable Melbourne weather.
All seasons in the same day...lol

Hello to anyone else popping in for a cuppa.
Heres a treat to nibble on while you enjoy the cuppa...Blueberry Muffins.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

We're expecting our first chill of the season tonight, weather has been fairly nice with even a little rain after our return. Usually it will stay warm through mid October before the heavy frosts.

My zinnia patch near the front entrance ended a little taller than I had envisioned. They were supposed to be a "short" variety, oh well.. Looked okay, I guess.

Al

Clifton Springs, Australia

Jean, you made my day today when I caught up with your Mondays post......

'Time I had another cuppa and turned the heater on to warm my6 feet.'
No wonder you have trouble buying shoes.....lol.....love it....

I'm a fan of Chinese food too....
Those bargain grasses will be very handy and they will look lovely with your other grasses....
Pics of the azaleas and rhodo when they flower...

C'mon Anthony, pics and results please......
Al that zinnia is lovely, not enough of the old fashioned ones around in gardens any more, which is very sad.
My boronia has been wonderful this year....
But this leucodendron is beautiful too.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

I won restricted 'miniature'-3 minis, Atlanticus/Conspicuus/Narcissus Cyclamenius - Combo.........Lenah Valley , Club Champion .1-2 in OPEN Seedling Many places in restricted classes....I got my mug in last Saturdays 'Mercury' and 'Tasmanian Country' and Sat nights Sthn Cross News..[much to the stirring delight of the blokes at work and on the construction sites]
I cant seem to find any picture upload button?

I'm looking for a plant called "Lambs Ears" I need it for my floral art arrangements.
I did purchase one but it doesn't have the very fuzzy ears that I am looking for.
Can anyone please give me some info on this plant and are there different varieties?
What is the variety with the very fuzzy leaves? Thanks.

Oh by the way ...our snake had to be taken by the wildlife people as it was attracting other males and the fighting bumping noises in the ceiling was just getting too much for us.

Marleneann, was the snake poisonous??? I hope you don't have a snake year like I have had.
could you use Cat tails in your arrangements. Do you have aquatic cat tails???
Charley sniffs out your luscious cakes and cookies. He has a good nose on him, his ear don't flop like a blood hound but he finds you all. I need to get you all some new pictures.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Charley looks very dapper with his flower behind his ear, Charleen....

Anthony congrats on winning those prizes, you really did get into the little ones...
It's going to be 20 here today..whoopee.

Great gardening day Jean, have fun...
Enjoy your day everyone.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
Its foggy here this morning after a cold damp day yesterday.
I am so glad we went over to Mt Gambier on Monday while the weather was lovely..

Anthony, congratulations on all your wins. Love to see a few pics of your beauties.

Charleen, I knew Charley would lead you to us. Hes a clever boy when it comes to finding cookies...lol

Marlene, you will probably get a new snake move in now the other has gone.
You had better hope its a male so you dont have all the noise going on.

Dianne, I hope you get a warm day. It looks and feels cold here with the fog. It may clear by lunchtime if we are lucky.
I am staying inside until the sun does come out.

Hello Al, and anyone else popping in for a chat.

I will leave out something yummy to nibble on while you all enjoy your cuppa. ...
.....Honey Ginger Scones

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Ok..I really loved this one! ..Dianne, I will need your help again......next year!

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Anthony, I love the color.
I got pictures of most of my critters this morning. so here you go!!!!!

Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Anthony - that is a stunning daffy, love the colour!

I was checking the garden before work this morning & admiring the tiny lily leaves emerging.
Then noticed a bigger lily hiding behind my lavender.
I kept looking & lo & behold a few more good size stems - how on earth I missed seeing those I don't know - or maybe they just shot up over a couple of days.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful daff Anthony. Always a sure sign of Spring.

Your zoo always looks happy and healthy Charleen!

I enjoy seeing the opposite contrast in climates, makes life interesting. We with soon be in Fall with all the changing leaf colors in mid October. Lots of Fall harvest festivals will be around the Lakes area in the next few weeks. Each community has it's own.

Al

Buggy days is going on this weekend. I need to get pictures of our little town to share one day....
Anthony is in 7th heaven , now his plants are showing life.....

Merino, Australia

Good morning everyone.
Not such a good morning here at all.
Its still raining. I think winter turned around and decided to stay with us.
Everything is damp and some of my plants have a bit of mildew because of the continuous cold & wet.
The weekend is forecast to be lovely and warm, then back to the winter again next week.

Charleen, all your menagerie look like they are enjoying themselves.
I saw a mule the other day as we were driving . Looked just like Charley.
I did wonder if Charley had borrowed Carpet to come over and visit....lol
Love to see pics of the Buggy days over there.
You have some great local celebrations around the country.
Love to see pics of more of your lovely state too.

Al, you are coming into the prettiest season of the year.
I never get tired of looking at all the beautiful Fall colors.
I use some Fall pics on the computer desktop.
We dont have anything like that color here. Our native trees are pretty in flower for a short time, but drab most of the year . Such different climates in our two countries..
Our trees have had to evolve to live in such a dry continent.
We do get small patches of the tree color where deciduous trees have been planted by the early settlers and in gardens where people have wanted something pretty.

Teresa, your lilies will soon be tall and beautiful.
Mine are growing while I watch. They certainly are quick.
Hope Miss Mischief is still being the perfect lady.

I spotted a couple of buds starting to open on my Dutch iris, so it must be Spring even if the weather doesnt look like it.

Hello Dianne, Marlene, Anthony and anyone else out there.
I am off back to the heater.

Heres a little nibble for morning tea....Chocolate Peanut Squares..

Happy gardening stay safe.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Morning all,
Love your furry family pics, Charleen.....and your brug pic..
Have a lovely time at your buggy festival....take your camera.

Anthony, I have to ask...are the colours true in that pic? that is a beauty.....
I have a couple of liliums growing that I don't recognise, so I'll take a pic when when they flower,
I think they might be the ones that you gave me last year.....I can't find my list, it wasn't a good year..

Al, enjoy your fall festivals, it must be a very pretty time of year in your area....

Jean, It should be a great week for us next week, a 25C on one of the days.....
It should help those Sphaeros....good luck...
Dianne....

Cold again here, blah...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

What a pretty daffodil!
Dianne...is that a fuchia?

The weather is warming up now and the plants are growing quite fast. I put in a few veges in a pot for our garden festival in late October and now I am worried they will be past their prime for the competition. Just doing it to help the organizer because the entries were down last year.

As true as I stand here..Dianne...I cant manipulate my camera-[don't know how to!]

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Get you another camera , Anthony. We need pictures... That is a cutie thou.....

brrrr - not a great day here, started mildly but the rain came on just as we were leaving to take Sugar for a run at the dog park.
We kept driving & took her out to the hangar instead.
It was dry there, 20 minutes north of ChCh can be quite different weather.
Couldn't let her go for a run but used the long line to give her some freedom on a walk around the perimeter by the rows of hangars.
Did some obedience training too - she is good with some aspects but we need to work on a few issues - she is wonderful at dropping into a down from the sit or stand with me 12 paces away but unless I am right in front of her I can't get her to sit up from the down...
funny weasel, I just need to figure out the right button to push to get the desired response.

Sugar got to watch from the car as more boxes were sorted through, the rubbish pile is growing as I am culling ruthlessly - if it hasn't been missed in over a year then we probably don't need it, if it is damaged it can go & even my soft toy collection got the heave ho.
Most of it, I kept a couple of good beanie baby dalmatians & a Garfield along with 'the Dog' from Footrot Flats.
It was Sugar that saved Garfield, she grabbed him off the rubbish pile & carried him off, once I rescued him from her tender mercies I decided he was still in good nick & would come home after all.

We were up early to watch the America's cup racing, OMG the suspense in race 1 was killer - and then to have the race abandoned within sight of the finish line as they were over time was just gut wrenching - had they allowed another 10 minutes the cup would be ours!
So to have the second race go to the Oracle team was another kick in the teeth.
Race 14 tomorrow - that's my lucky number so here's hoping we can do it!

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. Well, the sun did come out after lunch and no rain..
Its become all cloudy again now and you can see the rain across the hills.
I did manage to pot up my new broms, but the rest of the plants will have to wait.

Teresa, its lucky you have the hangar to go to so you can be out of the rain while doing things.
I'm glad Sugar rescued Garfield.
I do have a few soft toys here. About a dozen small teddy bears.
My favorite pet sits here next to the computer ..Mogwai..
Sitting up on the computer and along his radios are hubbys dogs and dragons that I buy him.

Dianne, I am posting my funny little coldies on the brug thread.
Dear little confused things.

Hello Charleen, Anthony, Al and everyone else.

pics 1 & 2 ...the ever faithful plants always in flower. Eriestemon and Polygala.
the native hibiscus ( alogyne) is always flowering , but I forgot to get a pic if it today.

pic 3... beautiful white cyclamen.. best I have ever seen it, originally an old crown found at the tip about 9 years ago.

pic 4 .. the fern house looking green as the ferns all put on their spring green.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset Thumbnail by 77sunset

A few more,............,Jean ,Gizmo is a moguay ,Sits by me all the time, since 2006............dunno whats happened to this last pic , but you all will sort it out...All Saints Daff Show today.. 'David and Goliath ' attempt for me, but its the spirit that counts................

Thumbnail by g_whizz Thumbnail by g_whizz Thumbnail by g_whizz Thumbnail by g_whizz

Jean - what a good save the cyclamen was... looks lovely.

Anthony, the link to your photos seems to be broken, I was looking forward to seeing them full size as the thumbnails look very nice.

too wet here to do anything, went to dog training but we decided to cancel the classes, just us early bird instructors were there so we let the dogs have a free for all run around.
Sugar & her mate Millie were hard out chasing each other & I lost sight of the weasel for a moment - she came flying back into view with a stolen teddy bear in her mouth & there was more frantic chasing as Millie & a few other dogs wanted it too.
I managed to call her back & recover the stolen property - the rightful owner is a lovely Goldie with some pretty serious health issues & he would have been upset to lose his teddy.

Quote from g_whizz :
As true as I stand here..Dianne...I cant manipulate my camera-[don't know how to!]

Lol Anthony, not for a minute did I think that you did anything to the colour, my camera sometimes doesn't capture the real colour, it's either too dark or a shade different, especially pinks.....so it isn't always true.

Your pics are ok, I can see them full size...must have been a glitch somewhere.

I was so knocked out by those colours, that's why I asked.....
I'ts really a wonderful combination....where can we get that one?

Marlene, it's a Cantua...I love them...

Good on Sugar, Teresa...she knows what she wants....
if NZ doesn't wrap up that victory soon, I won't be able to watch....lol

Everything looks lovely in your garden Jean, especially those new Sphaeros.....I think the pale one is going to be special....yahoo.

Enjoy this beautiful day..
Dianne.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2013 1:19 PM

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Everyone's flowers are gorgeous, aah to relive Spring again! The internet is wonderful, isn't it?

Right now we are harvesting a record potato crop statewide in New York. I wanted to send these photos in mid-July when the potato flowers were in bloom, but got caught up in our travels and other business.

Arkport is a small village north of here that grows thousands of acres of potatoes, most of which are trucked to the large city areas. I remember well, as young strapping lads, my brother and I were employed to load the semi-trailers with potato bags for shipment to NY City. Each truck carried 1000 - 50 pound (23K) bags which all had to be stacked and loaded by hand. The vehicle had to leave the dock by 9AM which gave us time for a hearty breakfast each morning after work.

Those days are long gone, but the memories are still there each time I eat potatoes!

Al

Diane- Rod has it .. 'Lea'-JSB Lea seedling 2-7-75...I have my name on 1 as well!
Rod will be listing seedling bulbs in his next CAT.. 10 bulbs ,$10.. He guarentees at least 2 out of the 10 will be championship class....
Teresa the link to the thumbnails is like its owner, 'worn out and tired'

Thumbnail by g_whizz Thumbnail by g_whizz

Back from 'All Saints'- shock.. I won open Bulbicodium miniature +2nd +3rd.,with Conspicuus...Miniature Triandus Open 2nd 3rd-with Hawera..........2nd Daff Sculpture .. well youll see.. won nothing with the white Cocky though!
The Image upload button has not come on screen?

Still no Image button

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.