Success rooting Christmas cactus in water?

Phoenix, AZ

My favorite Christmas cactus that I have had for 6 years rotted :( It was outside doing fine and then started looking limp. I brought it in and kept it in a southern facing window. Making sure to water it, checking for pest. Apparently the ceramic pot I had it in stopped draining and it rotted. When I pulled the plant up there was a horrific smell. I cut off as many of the top most sections and planted them. They all have 3-4 sections per cutting. The last 2-3 sections on the tip shriveled. I cut those off and can see they have some aerial roots. I laid them in a shallow glass bowl with just enough water to not cover them. This is the one with the hot pink blooms. I'm so bummed.
Any helpful tips? Besides making sure the drainage hole doesn't get blocked :(

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I have had terrible luck with Christmas cactus. I've killed more than I care to admit. Sorry I can't help you. I hope someone here can ....

Phoenix, AZ

Good news! The cuttings I potted up are doing well and the roots are growing :)
The withered ends I put in water have plumped up and the roots are growing! I'm so tickled that I was able to save cuttings. It will be many years before it's anything like it was but that's ok.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I've had good luck rooting in water.

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Congrats on your success!

Pawleys Island, SC

I too have had good luck rooting in water. I just have to make sure to watch them when I transplant because the water roots seem to be more fragile. I have been tempted to try it with an epi cutting. If it works I will let you know.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Around my neighborhood, I have seen large Epi cuttings rooting in 5Gal buckets of water. Couldn't say how deep the water was though. I would guess the cuttings were full stems, including some of the woody base. Those do root easier, but supporting them is difficult. LOL!

Pawleys Island, SC

The next time the squirrels break pieces off of mine, I might try putting them in the aeroponic cloner. Just to see what happens.

Warners, NY

The libraries around here are always coming up with some dust covered, withered Christmas cactus that is supposed to have been an heirloom so I swiped a couple segments before someone probably threw it out and stuck them in potting soil. They are both growing and maybe this time I will keep them alive long enough to see them bloom-----------I hope.----------------Weedy

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Barb: I have rooted Christmas cactus in water several times. I think here in AZ it is easier to root in water than in soil. I don't know why. Be sure you pot up into soil once the roots appear so they don't get too adapted to the water and not work in the soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.