FALL 2013

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I know some of you think its too soon but we expect frost tonight here in the FingerLakes.
Lets face it the gardens are changing and indicating its time to go to bed.
Continue to post those great early fall colors and plants.

We were here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1324127/

This message was edited Sep 5, 2013 6:57 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

No.....not a frost! Temps here supposed to be at 38...cold enough for me to cover up my cukes & peppers! Getting my flowers ready to take to the fair tonight.......hoping my bouquet of roses will fully open for the judging tomorrow....only color showing in the buds right now.....they were just right last week!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

geez frost already????

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Things are looking pretty sparse

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

It never occurred to me to cover my cukes when the leaves started to wilt. Could I have saved them for a little longer? It's definitely too late now. Although we're not far from you, Marilyn, we're much colder.

Sparse is the word, except for the volunteer phlox and a few other odds and ends...

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
South Hamilton, MA

Thank you both for posting the photos. enjoyed everyone's odds & ends.

Thomaston, CT

Both gardens still look great, because both of you, Jo & Pam, have a great sense of design....also, you've chosen well in the foliage department, so there's a nice contrast. Pam, the cukes I'm worried about are ones I planted last month....once they begin to yellow or wilt, pull them out.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

way too early for a fall thread frost or no frost :)

South Hamilton, MA

We put the tube feeder up yesterday. Gold finches, & chickadees showed up (don't know who else) & it is empty.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm trying the mesh sock for Niger seed. The squirrels just chew the heck out of the tube feeders, so far they have left the sock alone. I hadn't noticed much activity around the hummingbird feeder, was thinking of taking it down but then there was brisk activity last evening. I just happened to glance out at the Moonflowers and noticed that Cantina is blooming. Will have to get the camera.

Pictures of Cantina and others. The knotweed foliage is really colorful.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
Thomaston, CT

Cantina is lovely! Guess I need to order some rebloomers!

I can't believe it. It has 5 buds. I've had Immortality, Double Click and Clarence for at least 5 years, and none of them have ever rebloomed.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, Pam and Jo, still looking great. I like Mittsy's sock idea.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I've had squirrels steal the whole sock of niger seed

I like this one
http://www.duncraft.com/Stainless-Steel-Nyjer-Feeder

I have a wood and plastic one that the squirrels pretty much leave alone...similar to this one http://www.hurleybyrd.com/FinchPerch.html

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Insect festival today run by Mercer County Master Gardeners

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They had a few things blooming

Cute tea garden with lots of herbs

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lots of caterpillars and Monarch tagging and release

I've never seen this one before, Hickory Horned Devil
I think the Spicebush Swallowtails are one of the coolest looking ones

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Big brown bat

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen

Wonderful Master Gardener program, thanks for the photos.

I like the stainless steel finch feeders, too but the neighborhood kids stole mine, too pricey to keep replacing.

Thomaston, CT

Eeek....if I saw the Hickory Horned Devil, it would be all over! That dahlia really sings....I had exactly one blooming to enter into the fair this year.....

South Hamilton, MA

Why would the kids want them?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Actaeas are looking good
Hillside Black Beauty

Sedum Frosty Morn

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Love it. I am hoping my actaeas get large enough to look like that!
Lots of nice activity in Mercer county, Jen!

As I used to drive past these monster children's grandmother's house, and spotted it hanging in her tree shortly after Mother's Day when I received it, I assume it was" regifted"! These same children's dad used to steal gasoline from my grandfather when we ran a boat livery. Had to padlock the pump. Second generation as bad as the first.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

need to take some pictures - it is a bee fest out there with the late hydrangea's, caryopteris, and sedum

interesting shot's jen

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

geez, what family

Ya, they said the hickory horned devil can get as big as a hot dog!!!!

holey moley, he did say they are rare around here, though

South Hamilton, MA

yes, don't need those neighbors.

Thomaston, CT

Love that acatea......on my list!

Ditto on the Actea. I have Brunette, went in last fall. So far it's underwhelming, but I think it has potential. How old is yours? Is it more than one plant? It's gorgeous!

Thumbnail by Pfg
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Pam: That actaea is 5 years old.Its one plant but there are two more Black Negilegee's a few feet away.
The Hillside Blk Beaut wasnt much until this year.I believe all the rain we had this spring really perked it up.
This is BLK BUTY in 2012. image shows the row with negligee nearby.
Blk Beauty is larger this year and has many more bloom stems.Its in a well drained area but the plant really prefers more moisture sorta like astilbes.

This message was edited Sep 10, 2013 5:07 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836

When mine opened the next set of blooms it made much more of a statement. Unfortunately I neglected to get a picture of it! and now we won't be back there until the end of next month.

It sure looked like fall around here this past weekend, but there were still a few flowers here and there.

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Todays blooms

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

Nice! Love to see any color this time of year.......my asters are vivid.....Pam, there was a moose in Warren this week, down at Angevine's Farm......then it wandered into New Britain & the police killed it......poor moose! Photos are asters, rose Brilliant Pink Iceberg, & angelonia with a few snaps.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

still looking good!

Great photos! Especially love the blue phlox and the Angelonia.

A moose?! Where did that wander in from?! Have you ever heard of moose herds in the area before? Poor moose indeed!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

All loverly gardens, Pam, Jo and Marilyn!

Jo is that a Dragon's Eye pine I spy there? Can't quite see. Since I can't seem to grow umbrella pines in our sandy yellow ocre soil, I am thinking about trying one. Sun would have been right for an umbrella pine. Oh well, can't dig to China.

It may have leached into the camellias on that side of the house, too because they still live if planted in a three feet deep humus berm on the north side.

They know me by name at the Lyman Estate greenhouse where I revive at lunch hour. Came home with two tiny tender camellia plants to baby, Salvia nemorosa 'Merleau Blue', epimedium 'Lillafee', and a white striped lavender.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Rosemary: If you are refering to the last image.That tree is a JM ,Spring Delight.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

It's a delight in fall too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.