My Nutty Buddy is one dumb cat!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I think I have the dumbest cat ever! He is an Applehead Siamese who is 6 months old. I had the smartest cat ever who also was an Applehead Siamese. We got Buddy (now named Nutty Buddy) hoping the traits I loved so much in my Gabby would be replicated. In 6 months the only thing he has learned is where the litter box is and to use it.

I am wondering now if he is inbred. He is very muscular. Incredibly athletic. He can jump from a standing position 8 ft straight up to get to a ledge. Which BTW he does frequently even if he has no clue what will be on top when he gets there. It is nothing to see him sitting on top of a Tiffany style lamp about 6 feet off the ground. He can run so fast, I literally cannot follow him with my eyes. He also has the longest tail I have ever seen on a cat. And he has incredible control over it. He is almost a wonder cat, that athletic. He is also such a hunter. Any flying bugs, he is on the case until he catches them. He wants my bird so bad, that even if he is laying in my arms his eyes are on the bird and he makes a weird noise, KKKKKKK.

He has no concept what NO means. You can scream at him, remove him in a most unfriendly way and within a minute if he can, he will race right back where he was chastised. And he will do it repeatedly. For 5 months I have all but beaten him with a stick when he goes after my parrot. It matters not, if he gets a chance he is right back up on the bird's cage. It is amazing. My last 4 cats only had to be told once not to go near the bird and for the rest of their many years they never went near the bird again. They would never even look at him even when he talked to them.

I have given up telling Nutty Buddy NO and removing him from the kitchen counter after 5 months of trying. If I am in the kitchen, he is on the counter watching me. There is no way I can block him from the kitchen, so I would spend the entire time taking him off the counter. I now allow him to sit on all our glass lamps too. I let him actually do just about everything the last 2 weeks. I give up. The only 2 things I will not let him do now is get on the bird cage and get behind my computer monitor where he digs at all my wires. Both activities which he does the very second he gets into the office. He makes me just nuts. I have spanked his butt but that did nothing at all and I was afraid he would be traumatized and not be my eventual lap cat so I stopped doing that.

Also he bites. And worse, he attacks which is escalating. He goes from being my baby in my arms purring to intense attack mode. He looks so scary too. His teeth are bared while he bites my hand, my arm whatever he can get to. He grabs my hand/arm with all his paws and literally wraps around my arm and holds on so tight I literally have to fling him down to the ground to disengage. I have tried to coax him into being nice, tried petting him in his favorite ways, holding him still which is impossible. He just goes nuts, like a wild animal. He keeps the attack up till I finally fling him down on the ground. He does cause pain though he does not break my skin and he does not use his claws. If he did, my arm would be in intensive care. He is just so intense. My husband flings him across the room now when he does it to him, and Buddy now rarely does it to him. But I just am afraid he will get hurt so I have not been so violent back.

He can be very affectionate too. He can be my baby for an hour at a time. He loves my husband. As soon as my husband gets up in the morning, Buddy is all over him. In one jump he is up on the back of my husband's neck where he lies as he cleans my husband's hair as Tom sits on the can. LOL. It is a morning ritual.

We have been keeping him as an inside cat but I just told my husband we should let him outside and let him get rid of some of his energy. He needs to climb a 50 foot tree 20 times a day. But he is so dumb, we are afraid he will be hit by a car.

BTW, we did have him fixed at 4 months hoping it would calm him. No way.

Any ideas?

This thread has 29 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!