'Bloodgood' leaf scorch?

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I have a little one in a pot. I bought it for $13 from Aldi's about 4 months ago. It has been sitting in a direct sun, sunny spot. When I noticed this crispiness on mostly upper leaves, (not so bad on bigger, lower leaves), I suspected leaf burn as I'd seen it before on other plants and I put them in more shade and they came back fine after awhile but I'd hate to lose this tree. It was a good deal and I just love 'Bloodgood's, even though it'll be awhile before it gets some size. I am still in a doghouse of sorts because my friend here, the homeowner, lost a nice big, potted, red dissectum of some kind that was just beautiful, she still reminds me how I let it die last year. Even today, I was telling her about this post I wanted to make, she says, "funny, this one only cost $13 and mine cost about $300", I feel bad and everything. A lot of trees around here died last year. I put this one in the shade yesterday, so I sure hope that's it, I water it regularly, (about every 2 days). Anyway, when I told her that 4 foot one, (about 2" caliper trunk) was dead this Spring, I thought maybe I better pack my bags! I don't want to lose this one, it has big shoes to fill.
Thanks, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

yep that is what it is and common with some jm's

Thanks wha, I hope that's what it is too, it's easy to fix that on a potted plant, just move it to the shade!
Thanks, Will

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and give it a drink

Oh I will, we had a sizeable wind and rainstorm recently, it got plenty of water, my rainbarrel was even empty and it filled it all the way up. But, it's near my water source, it's easy to water my plants. Most of my plants are in pots, there ain't no plant easier to water than one in a pot! lol

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Buying a small jm basically band pot size Jm like that is always a crap shoot .. it is way too easy to under or over water with it's small root system. Most Jms with just sun damage make it if they have had made enough nutrients to see it thru the winter.. many do not... smaller new grafts like that one may or may not .. as i said a crap shoot.. if too wet it's a goner story over. Many folks see the leaves dry and water them to death and drown them like rats or they fertilize them to death etc .. With more mature and more expensive jms you get what you pay for .. a bigger root system that is easier to grow and keep alive. Beginners should never buy cheap small jms it just isn't worth it. I personally don't like selling them even small one gals except to experienced folks .. I won't ever to a beginner. Some get lucky most don't. D-san

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.