AV&G Sept 2013

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Ok, so I don't have a lot of plants right now. All right. Fine. Just one. One that I bought at Lowe's last week. Jim laughed at me! He said he'd send my plants once it cools off in Texas.

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Sanbornton, NH

Hi Nicole,

I feel your pain. My stock of plants was cut by better than 2 thirds during a stay in the hospital this summer. Waiting for cooler weather to grow things up again. Be patient and this too shall pass.

Earle

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Nice picture Nichole.I am sure you will have more soon ^_^.

Earle,
Sorry you were in the hospital! I hope you have fully recovered.

Plants are not being taken care of here either,because life happens.I am seriously thinking about tossing the rest and giving up growing for a while.I haven't decided yet.
Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I've been where you are, Lynn. Before we moved, I was "this close" to flipping a coin to decide. But, I realized there were some plants I just didn't want to lose. So, instead of growing for a club, I am going to grow for myself, which will keep my plants limited while in the apartment. I will expand once we move into a house (I've already picked out shelves!).

I either pitched or gave away a lot of my plants before the move. There were some that Jim is holding for me - like my species, one or two violets, a few episcia and some streps. Knowing Jim, he'll have extra in the box too! ^_^

So, my advice - pick 4-5 plants to keep. See how you do with lower number plants before you decide for sure.

How are you feeling now, Earle?

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Nichole and Lynn,

I am doing much better now. I had double coronary bypass surgery and, apparently, did not make it easy for the surgeons. I am mostly healed, although I still have a few spots in my chest where things have not knitted back together yet. The surgery was very successful as I am now off most of my blood pressure medication. Now if they could just fix diabetes the same way! It's tough getting old and I don't recommend it to anyone.

Take care, ladies, and don't give up all the plants.

Earle

Oh Earle,
That is major surgery.I am so glad you are doing well now.

Too late Earle....I am already falling apart!

Not sure about giving ALL of them up yet.

Lynn

Sanbornton, NH

Hi Lynn,

Sorry to hear you are falling apart. Is it appropriate to suggest you pull yourself together? Take this from a guy who has been falling apart for years. I am not aging gracefully. Please hang in there!

Earle

LOL....it is perfectly appropriate......however I'm not sure I can do it. ^_^. I,too,have been gradually falling apart for years.

Lynn

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Here is a pic of my NOID today . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

And, I think it is not reaching as much as it was after I repotted it . . .

The first pic is the "just got repotted" pic.

The second one (with the bloom) was just a few minutes ago . . .

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani
Sanbornton, NH

Nice looking NOID, Nichole! The only things blooming here at the moment are some primulinas. I just brought all of my Christmas and Easter cacti indoors yesterday, so they will be blooming in a couple of weeks. Already had our first two frosts of the season here.

Earle

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Wow, isn't that kinda early? But then, I've been in Texas for 14 years, so I need to get used to it getting cold sooner . . .

Sanbornton, NH

September frosts are commonplace in New England. Farther north in NH, the first frost was 10 days ago. I am sure it was quite a shock for the moose up there.

Earle

Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

So sorry to hear about your situation, Lynn. And I thought I was the only one to have terrible summer... Earle, glad your recovery goes well and Nichole, you're on the right track. How about some eye candy? I lost many plants this season but the strongest survived!

Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl Thumbnail by carpathiangirl
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Just finding this thread... I have been so busy lately, I've barely even lurked here in a while.

Earle, I am sorry to hear you went through such a bout with your health! I am glad that the surgery is behind you and that you are doing well now! My thoughts and prayers for continued healing and strength!

I know what you all mean about giving up. I have been there! When I first became active in growing gessies 6-7 years ago, I had numerous plants and was having pretty good luck growing them (I least I was learning to grow them!). I was active here on DG and had many friends and contacts here! Somewhere along the line, with my many purchases and trades, I picked up meay bugs and they quickly infiltrated my entire collection! I was devastated! I tried and tried to get rid of them myself, and in the long run that is probably why they wiped out everything. Finally, I threw everything away... EVERYTHING! I was so put out that I did not grow anything for a really long time... and hence why I was not on DG for a long time too. Just last year, I decided to get back into growing again... and now, you wouldn't know it has only been a year! LOL! I've learned alot, and I am extremely paranoid about bugs in my collection and take extra precautions now. I love my collection and I have too many plants.... some days I come home from work too tired to do a thing, and sometimes they survive on sheer will... but I am happy and my plants give me much joy and peace.

Nichole, I saw your new AV on another site and it is very pretty! I only have one AV at present... Happy Harold. It is coming along nicely. I just ordered Cosmic Blast again as I lost the first one I bought. I also have leaves for a Russian I like alot... RS-Serpantin.

I'm not going to tell you how many streps I have! I probably need an intervention! LOL! They pout and mope during the summer months... so now with cooler weather coming in, they are just coming out of their funk.

Maria, your plants are beautiful! I really like that first photo of the Sinn.

Lynn, you have been growing a long time! Don't give up now! You have so much knowledge that you share with others, here and on other sites!

Karen

These bloomed on my balcony this summer.... if I already posted them, I apologize.

Maria, that Alsobia Cygnet was from you! It and the dianthiflora are still blooming now!

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

Here are a few of what's blooming now....

Sinn. Deep Purple Dreaming
Strep. 'Bora
Strep. The Red and The Black
Strep. Fancy Pants
Sinn. Party Dress

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Akron, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey Karen, so nice to see your beautiful pics again. Terrific streps, I always wondered how could one keep them alive and even happy for years? I tend to kill them just in one season, sigh.... Lovely Party Dress, looks quite compact. I think she's a cousin to my Kevin Garnett hybrid, mine is a monster though.

Alsobias are really, really rewarding plants, so glad you keep enjoying them. Sorry for not keeping my promise about Show Time, I lost her too. She was a beauty and we have to find her again. So I'm still in the gessie game, I even think it's still the first "exitement" round, hehe

Sanbornton, NH

Thanks for sharing, Karen! Your plants look really good.

Earle

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful pics everyone!! Thanks for sharing :)

Connie

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Very pretty pix, Karen!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I have plenty of Kohleria 'Bogotensis' rhizomes and would love to trade for micro or mini sinn. tubers. Also would send if anyone wants one and can't trade anything. Lou

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Lou - would you take postage? I'm kinda starting over, since Jim can't mail my plants right now.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Sure! Is your name in the address exchange? I'll get one in the mail to you. Lou

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

It is! (I think!). As long as it is NC and not TX, that is. Pretty sure I changed it. Let me know what the postage is!

Thanks!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Here are a couple of my violets from March 2013. I know a bit about violets but what are the gorgeous things with trumpet shaped blooms called?

Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3
Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I can't find the address exchange. Does anyone know where it was moved to? This new format has me confused.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Here ya go Lou :) http://davesgarden.com/extras.php

Steadycam3, could you possibly talking about Sinningias? Your plants are gorgeous!! Great job :)

Connie

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll look up sinningias. Thanks so much.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Connie. I appreciate you help.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Went to a violet meeting this morning. It was nice to sit around and talk plants to people again! I had missed that more than I thought I would!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I love violet people! Thank you, Lou! ^_^

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

You are more than welcome. I hope they do good for you.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Summer is over and we are heading back into the house for the winter. Turning our minds back to the House plants. Ric and I have been traveling for about 3 weeks and when we got home the AV's were here putting on a really good show. Just saying hello nice to have you back again. The leaves that I tried to start this summer did very well for me also and I have 5 nice little plants to share. I did take pictures but it may be awhile till I am able to post them. The laptop crashed while we were traveling and I haven't got the Photo program set up in the home computer quite yet. Really enjoyed all the pictures what lovely plants.

Just stopped in to say hi.I am really enjoying everyone's pictures.

Lynn

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are the pics I promised. Finally got the photo shop up and working on this computer.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A few more and here are a couple of my first successes with leaf starting.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Beautiful blooms Holly!

I assume your strep is Fleischle Roulette Azur? It is very nice! I just bought one that is quite similar called Full Moon... the blue ring is slightly darker and leans a bit more to purple.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Great job Holly!!! They are ALL beautiful ::))

Connie

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Got my order in from Plant Maniac . . . I guess I need to go in and spring for that new light fixture!

Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani Thumbnail by Syrumani

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.