What is your favorite color scheme for containers?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 89 votes:

I like bright, contrasting colors like purple and yellow.
(26 votes, 29%)
Red dot

I like solid colors, such as all red, or all yellow.
(6 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Pastels are my favorite colors for my containers.
(5 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I like a little of everything in my containers.
(33 votes, 37%)
Red dot

I prefer foliage plants in containers.
(9 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(10 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Most of my potted planted are succulents, but I do like flowers in window boxes and hanging pots.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I love all of the colors of the rainbow, so it is hard for me to limit myself, but I am especially fond of pink, light to med cotton candy pink. Big, full pink English roses & peonies, although the latter won't bloom at all well here due to the heat. I love a mix of white with various shades of light to med pink. Quite by accident I found that I also love blue, lavender, and purple accents with pink.

I have a temporary area where I plant some things until I find the right spot for them. One year I planted a clear pink daylily there beside a blue geranium. When both bloomed in tandem, I was awestruck by the beauty of the combination, the tiny bluish-purple geraniums surrounding the clear, cotton candy pink daylily blooms. That is now my favorite color combo.

Lake Helen, FL

I'm not even clear if you mean the color of the plants, or the color of the containers. I plant almost everything in containers, because if you direct-seed in Florida, you're making salad for bugs.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i cut the bottoms out of my big pots and plant garden plants in them. it gives them a head start with good soil and eventually they root to the ground. i also like interest they provide both as ornamentation and as a varying height aspect.

most of my small pots are in partial shade and have succulents and/or herbs in them.

as far as color combinations go, the gaudier the better! lol

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I like all color combos in my containers. In fact I don't even plan them out. I go to the store, pick what I like, go overboard on buying and bring them home and shove them in the pots. Then my old man Whiskers picks the pot he likes best and makes it his bed and smashes some of my short flowers while the tall ones grow around him making a great picture. lol

Whatever works!! LOL!!

Track, I love gaudy plants in gaudy containers. lol

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Purple and chartreuse is one of my favorite color combinations. Or red and chartreuse. I do use a number of various color combos in my containers. I'm not too fond of pastels but do occasionally use them. I like colors that pop.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I voted "other" because I purchase potted flower plants for the location they will be kept in, rather than by type, color, etc.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

oh yes, Everything here !!!^_^

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I like a variety. Some of my pots have one kind of flower in them; some of them have 2=3 kinds; some are a variety of several, i.e., tall/short/middle. I love my potted annuals. Some of the pots have perennials and annuals in them, so I just have to fill in around the perennial. They are so pretty this summer. Last summer they all dried out, but this year, I'm loving them.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I like contrasting colours but also texturally contrasting plants and a mix of annual and perennial.

Calgary, Canada

I like plain dark green, black, grey or terra cotta containers.
The flowers and the plants are the main feature, and not the containers.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I voted "other": Color echoes with varying heights and some spilling over the edges.

Thumbnail by pirl
Staten Island, NY

I would love to see a blue geranium!
Do I google those words?
Thanks, Carol

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

pirl, your pic is just exactly what I like. It looks like the cousin to the planters at my house! Thanks for the pic.

I use various coleus, lantanas, petunias, dusty miller, sweet potato vines, portulaca, and sometimes some tall grasses in the middle for height, but not this year. Also have some with marigolds and portulaca in one.

Thank you!

The coleuses this year have been spectacular. I love lantanas but the deer do as well!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

pirl, beautiful planter. Love the plant & colour scheme you used. kudos!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

pirl is a class act!

Chapel Hill, NC

Thriller, filler & spiller!

Thanks, everyone!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I opt for a pleasing mix of colors and textures...my front porch is all foliage, but with colorful coleus and caladiums, no one misses the flowers.

Thumbnail by melody Thumbnail by melody

Beautiful, Melody. The nicest part of caladiums and coleus is...very little to deadhead and so much color for the little money they cost.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Absolutely lovely. I wish Caladium grew here but we don't get warm enough. I like that the back container is lifted.

I made these planters earlier in the season with succulents. Unfortunately the ex insisted on using bags of the cheapest soil despite my warnings. The soil burned the roots and killed the plants. I could talk until I'm blue in the face but he's such a bargain shopper that anything I say doesn't mean anything. Good soil is so important and so many forget this vital component of containers and planting in general. It's my fault the plants died. ugh!

Thumbnail by growin Thumbnail by growin
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Thanks ya'll...that means alot coming from the both of you.
I really like using different levels...it adds so much to have a container at a different plane.

Fine Gardening did an article about staging plants that was excellent, for anyone interested:

http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/staging-container-plant-display.aspx

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I experiment with different plants and textures and color combos each year. Sometimes I hit on a winner and sometimes not so much. I love seeing "how it will turn out" Here's a cabbage and purple jew in a hay rack hanging on my front porch early this year.

Thumbnail by steadycam3
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I don't do favorite color schemes.

I have a favourite colour scheme, but that's a totally different topic ;-)

Resin

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

You, Brits. What can I say. chuckle.

Lake Helen, FL

Iluvcannas: There are blue geraniums, but not in the genus Pelargonium. They are true Geranium genus members, and grow outdoors in zones 4-8. You can get them from various seedhouses. Indeed, much to the shock of A. A. Milne, you can grow geraniums (blue) and delphiniums (red) outdoors in any temperate region, if you have the right soil, light, and moisture. Geranium phaeum is one genus that has blue cultivars.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Resin - I'm British too, but have long since given up spelling the "correct" way. (giggle)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.