Hanging or "sling" gutters - long.

Golden, CO

Hello. My house is in a very windy place (a ridge on Lookout Mtn, Colorado). One side of my house has no gutter and no fascia board. The foundation on one end of that side has some dampness coming in, so I am planning to fix that by 1) getting a gutter and 2) improving the barrier between the soil and foundation.

I've gotten a couple of estimates from gutter companies. Company #1 said that the only solution is to build a fascia along the roof edge and install a regular gutter; that sling or hanging gutters are not appropriate for a place with lots of wind and snow. Company #2 said that wasn't an issue.

I also have a radon pipe coming out of the ground along that side of the house, and going straight up, almost touching the edge of the roof. Company #1 wants to install two separate gutters to accomodate that, one stopping at the radon pipe with a downspout, the other beginning just past the downspout. Company #2 wants to cut the radon pipe and put a 90-degree angle joint in, so that there's room for their sling gutter to pass between the radon pipe and the roof. So just one gutter / downspout would be needed.

If I go with Company #1, I first have to find someone to build /paint the fascia but I'm not so keen on that. So I guess my main question is: are hanging/sling gutters OK in a windy place? Is replacing the straight radon pipe with an angled pipe a reasonable idea? (The radon pipe, by the way, is significantly down from where I'm having an issue with the dampness, so I would be OK with having a downspout there.)

Thanks in advice for reading this long message!

N

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!