My Hardy Hibiscus grown from seed

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

It's plain white, but center is light pink, very odd I thought they are usually dark red?

Thumbnail by keithp2012 Thumbnail by keithp2012
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Looks like a pink swirl luna. Is this in full strong sun for more than 2 hours? When mine get hit by a strong sun for too long, they fade out within an hour or two. If you spray some liquid lemon dish detergent mixed with water on those leaves, the bugs will go away too. I have one Luna out of 12 that survived from seed. It isnt so easy. No blooms this year and am hoping it will weather the winter. Congrats on the new blooms!!!!!

It opened up like this and doesn't get that much full sun. The bugs are an issue ill use that spray.

She is a beautiful flower! May not be true to the parent but beautiful all the same! When I use the lemon liquid dish soap, I use a hose end sprayer like this
http://www.gardeners.com/Hose-End-Sprayer/30-719,default,pd.html?SC=XNET9221&utm_campaign=cse&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_term=&mr:referralID=903cc4fb-1312-11e3-a88a-001b2166becc&kwid=productads-sku^30@ADL4719-adtype^PLA-device^c-adid^30951941558
I place about 1/4 cup of the lemon soap in and set the dial to the lowest setting, spraying up against the bottom of the leaves. I think it is great that you are getting hibiscus flowers from seed. Can't wait to see what the next season brings when they are really established!

I also grew hardy Hibiscus from seed I purchased from Parks Seed Company. Had no problem getting them to sprout.

Below are the 3 colors and height. The flowers are 10" across.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2013 11:15 PM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Quote from blomma :
I also grew hardy Hibiscus from seed I purchased from Parks Seed Company. Had no problem getting them to sprout.

Below are the 3 colors and height. The flowers are 10" across.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2013 11:15 PM

Very nice!

Beautiful!

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

I received an envelope of seeds labeled pink hardy hibiscus. Do I need to stratify them like the iris?
What planting advice does anyone have for me?

Blomma your hibiscus are absolutely beautiful. I wonder if I should buy seeds from Parks so I'll know exactly what I am getting.

Quote from murkov2 :
I received an envelope of seeds labeled pink hardy hibiscus. Do I need to stratify them like the iris?
What planting advice does anyone have for me?

Blomma your hibiscus are absolutely beautiful. I wonder if I should buy seeds from Parks so I'll know exactly what I am getting.

They need a few months of cold, I left mine in pots of soil during winter where we get snow, in spring they sprouted by themselves.

murkov2,
Thanks for the compliment. Use Deno method with hardy hibiscus seeds. I knicked, soaked overnight in hand hot water, then placed the seeds in a moist paper towel and inserted in a ziplock bag. They sprout within a week.

I had trouble with them spouting until I used the Deno method. They do not need stratification.

Below is Hibiscus sprouted in 2 days with Deno. At this point, I pot them in 6-packs.

Edited to add, only buy from Parks if you really have to know the variety. All are beautiful. Just remember, they are a hybrid so will not come true from seed.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2013 6:26 PM

Thumbnail by
Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

Blomma,

Thanks for the help again.

The seeds are nicked and soaking now.

murkov2,
you are welcome. How did they do.

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

Not a one has sprouted. I am starting over with another batch of seeds.

murkov2,
I am sorry you are having a problem with he seeds. Where did you obtain them from? If they were harvested too early and not cured (dried) for a few days, or not stored properly, they may not be viable. They should have sprouted long before this.

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

I traded day lily seeds for the hibiscus seeds, so do not know how they were stored.

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

Murkov, when you soak the seeds, discard all those that float. Examine the seed for holes also, there are weevils that lay eggs in Hibiscus seeds, the larvae consume the inside of the seed before they climb out.

Quote from Mipii :
Murkov, when you soak the seeds, discard all those that float. Examine the seed for holes also, there are weevils that lay eggs in Hibiscus seeds, the larvae consume the inside of the seed before they climb out.

Floating seeds don't mean anything except that they may be laying on a tiny airbubble. I have had many seeds like that which eventually sunk, others didn't, but all sprouted just fine.

Mipii is correct as far as discard any with holes. I have never had that problem. It may depend on where you live.

Seeds that float probably have air pockets caused by insects or dead embryos; however, if the seeds that float are not absorbing water, what is the benefit of soaking?

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

hibiscus seedlings now 8 inches tall. What next?

Do I cut off the tips to get branching? How long before I need to transplant to a bigger pot? They have 9
or ten alternating true leaves.

Thumbnail by murkov2

Quote from murkov2 :
hibiscus seedlings now 8 inches tall. What next?

Do I cut off the tips to get branching? How long before I need to transplant to a bigger pot? They have 9
or ten alternating true leaves.

Mine were in the ground at this size during early summer, and they received fertilizer and got flowers the next month.

Murkov, here is a pretty good article about care and pruning:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/trim-perennial-hibiscus-plants-25780.html

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

Thank you mipii. The article answered my first question

Quote from murkov2 :
Thank you mipii. The article answered my first question

You hijacked my thread and I offered advice and no thank you? That's rude

I apologize Keith...I also contributed to hijacking.

Back to the original topic. Is the white bloom from something you hybridized?

Quote from Mipii :
I apologize Keith...I also contributed to hijacking.

Back to the original topic. Is the white bloom from something you hybridized?

I got the seeds from someone who did hybridize, this is the flower that was grown from seed I was given, all I was told was that it was a hybrid between 2 hibiscus species. Hibiscus moscheutos x Hibiscus coccineus. Not many seeds even sprouted and this was the only survivor from 8 seedlings.

This message was edited Dec 27, 2013 11:01 PM

Lincoln, NH(Zone 4a)

Sorry Keith. For some reason I just skipped over your reply and only saw Mipii's suggestion.
I am also sorry for "hijacking" your thread. I erroneously assumed it was a thread for raising hibiscus
from seed. I'll be more careful in the future to start my own thread whenever I have a question.
I most certainly did not intend to be rude. Thanks for all your help,

murkov2 ,
I cut my Hibiscus down to the ground in the fall after the first frost. New shoots come from the ground. The first year it will benefit from pinching back to branch. After that I never pinch since it produces side branches on its own.

The branches tend to get woody and are more easily cut in the fall while still green.

Keith, what is your analysis of your F1 hybrid? Would have loved to see the leaves better, perhaps next season. I can't see any coccineus characteristics. guess it's possible for interspecies pollination though. Keep us posted about how tall it gets and any other notable differences.

Quote from Mipii :
Keith, what is your analysis of your F1 hybrid? Would have loved to see the leaves better, perhaps next season. I can't see any coccineus characteristics. guess it's possible for interspecies pollination though. Keep us posted about how tall it gets and any other notable differences.

The leaves looked like hibiscus M to me. Only noticeable difference was very light pink center "eye" normally its deep red even for white flowers.

Thanks for sharing!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I soak mine overnite in peroxide. that usually works well.

Staten Island, NY(Zone 6a)

Last winter I sowed hibiscus seeds and one of the white hibiscus sprouted . It is growing quite well . I am very surprised that I got a plant because researches state that hibiscus seeds should be sowed in spring not winter.

Quote from cytf :
Last winter I sowed hibiscus seeds and one of the white hibiscus sprouted . It is growing quite well . I am very surprised that I got a plant because researches state that hibiscus seeds should be sowed in spring not winter.

I sow mine end of fall, they sprout like crazy come late spring!

I save my seeds from my plants that I have for 3 years. I have the white with the deep pink center and the full pink flower. I did wait until the seeds were totally dried and I save some of them. Will try to winter sow some more next time because I will like to plant a few in my front yard .

Quote from cytf :
I save my seeds from my plants that I have for 3 years. I have the white with the deep pink center and the full pink flower. I did wait until the seeds were totally dried and I save some of them. Will try to winter sow some more next time because I will like to plant a few in my front yard .

I was lucky enough to find wild hibiscus growing at a park and those seeds survive very well here, I'm pretty sure they can hybridize with other hibiscus, this plant I found were pure pink, really pretty!

These are the hibiscus I have ,and seeds from the white one germinated for me.

Thumbnail by cytf Thumbnail by cytf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.