Volunteer Redbud Tree

Bealeton, VA

This redbud was transplanted to its current location about a year and a half ago. At the time I didn't really notice the configuration of the lower part of the trunk. Will the tree be more prone to splitting in a storm? We really like the tree, and where it is located, so is there anything we can do to make the trunk more sturdy? Thank you for any suggestions.

Thumbnail by butterflysmiles Thumbnail by butterflysmiles
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

That individual is full of "bad crotches". These are places where the tree branches at acute angles. In this species, that means liability for splitting - storms or otherwise.

You can't make the trunk more sturdy. You can prune off one of the trunks that are a component of the acute angle. You can perform cabling and bracing of the two opposing trunks.

You can also plant an entirely new tree, if it bothers you that much. I'd just grow this tree for as long as it performs in your landscape, and then replace it if it fails due to nature or some other trauma. Redbuds are rather (comparatively) short lived trees anyway.

If you eventually plant a new individual, look for this type of deficiency and select for superior traits next time. That's called "Live, and Learn".

Bealeton, VA

Oh, I was afraid of it being "unfixable". I have this problem of not being able to dig up and throw away a volunteer plant/tree/bush that pops up in a disadvantageous place (think it comes from my reduce/reuse/recycle mentality). We have a gorgeous 27 year old redbud in the front yard and thought maybe we could eventually have one in the backyard too. Hmm, maybe I can replace it with the newly-identified elm. But then again I would have to dig up the redbud and throw it away.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2013 10:07 AM

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have gazillions of redbud seedlings - one of the most prevalent 'weeds' in my yard.
They grow fast, too. So I can have a redbud anywhere I want, simply by NOT pulling up a seedling. Surely, redbuds reproduce in your neck of the woods, too? If the one you've got isn't in the right place or shaped right or whatever, I'd pluck another seedling and replant.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Bealeton, VA

Great idea Weerobin! Thanks!

Chapel Hill, NC

Weerobin Volunteers are prolific in my yarden, too, and I've chosen quite a few that
remain where they chose to be :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.