Radermachera Summerscent Plant

Perth, Australia

Hi all, Planted 3 Radermachera Summerscent plants 3 years ago in full sun in Perth, Western Australia. They give me a few flowers in the summer and a bit of green growth but they are the same size as when first planted. Also they turn yellow in winter months. I'm generally a green thumb but need help with these.

Perth, Australia

Hi all, Planted 3 Radermachera Summerscent plants 3 years ago in full sun in Perth, Western Australia. They give me a few flowers in the summer and a bit of green growth but they are the same size as when first planted. Also they turn yellow in winter months. I'm generally a green thumb but need some help as they just won't grow.

Hi italian 59, I am afraid I am unfamiliar with the Summerscent Radermachera, however my China Doll trees appreciated jungle conditions to start them off well when young.
Mine are Telegraph polls with a canopy at about twenty feet. They flower like crazy once the tops hit the Sun. It looks so innocent as a small houseplant gifted to me, I put it outside in the shade and forgot about it until this Telegraph pole popped up.
It zoomed up into the Sunshine, where it decided to Self Seed all over the place ...I spend a great deal of time pulling the seedlings out.
I hope your Summerscent will be a little more restrained than mine ^_^,
My advice to you is treat it like a jungle plant, but if it starts to resemble a Telegraph pole ...chop it down.
All the best with it.
http://www.stgmagazine.com.au/community/2011/03/01/radermachera-summerscent/

Perth, Australia

Thanks for your reply chrissy100. Can you suggest what I need to do to let them think they're in the jungle:)

Some sheltering canopy and mulch over the roots is all I can suggest.
Not sure if it requires the same conditions as my China Doll.

It might just be waiting for some warmth.
Here you go ...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/160595/

Good luck.
Edited to show you which one you have ...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/114613/

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 3, 2013 6:58 PM

Perth, Australia

Hi italian59,
I was wondering whether you had any success with your Summerscent.

I'm also in Perth and have planted Summerscent as a hedge on both sides of the garden, one side is growing pretty well (doubled in size in 1 year and nice deep green color), the other side has not grown at all, a few have got smaller and developed black spots and quite yellow.

Thumbnail by pjh110 Thumbnail by pjh110
Perth, Australia

Hi. Just noticed the questions about the Radermachera Summerscent and I'm glad it's not just my bad gardening. I planted 12 over 2 years ago and they started off well but it seems they have become a bit stunted in growth and also now the leaves have turned yellow and developed black spots. I've tried checking for pests and there doesn't seem that anything is attacking the plant. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.