What's growing on my bushes?

Hull,Ga, GA(Zone 8a)

My son lives in Athens, Ga, and I have moved here too. He Has a small hedge, think its in then boxwood family. There is some sort of vine, not growing up from the ground
Twisting around the plant. Also has some sort of flower. I think it has stunted the growth also. Can anyone identify this? Thanks

Thumbnail by tajataja Thumbnail by tajataja Thumbnail by tajataja Thumbnail by tajataja
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What do you mean "not growing up from the ground?" Where is it rooted down? Where does it start? That is really strange. It looks like string doesn't it? How long has he had this thing in his hedge? You think it has stunted the growth of his hedge plants? That is really strange.

Hull,Ga, GA(Zone 8a)

There are no roots, it's almost parasitic . And the two bushes with it on it are smaller then the others. It's been on about 6 months. Keeps pulling it off and it returns! Strange! Almost eerie!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you see any leaves? The flower photo is not clear at all. My guess would be maybe Virgin's Bower or Sweet Autumn Clematis. It's blooming now and into autumn.

Ohh, I don't know then. Send this off to the plant ID forum.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Good idea.

Think I've got it. Cuscuta rostrata (Beaked Dodder). It's in the UGA plant file.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

What does UGA stand for Maypop? Ugly? LOL, sorry, couldn't resist.

University of Georgia. It's the largest public university in the GA system. Tajataja is living a blackeyed pea's throw north from UGA, which is located in Athens, GA. Both are small towns north of Atlanta.

There are probably some Deliverance guys on the way to your house now for that comment, Jnette. lol

Hull,Ga, GA(Zone 8a)

Looks like you nailed it MaypopLaural ! Thanks so much everyone. You guys are the best ,

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, sounds like hit men after me. They are serious about calling them ugly huh?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, I'm impressed, Maypop. And good find, tajataja. I notice that the only GA county in which it has been reported as occurring is Rabun.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I used to have dodder at our last house covering our azaleas and that was in Cobb County. Sometimes you can see it in a field driving by so it is random/sporadic. After I found out what it was I started ripping it out and it took time to get rid of it all. Nip it in the bud!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.