My first phal. and some questions.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Can anyone ID it?

I had to convince myself to buy it. I've never ever spent $25 on a plant!! lol

My sister knocked it over and out of the pot and I noticed how many rotten roots it had, which is pretty stupid since I bought it the day it got to Lowes from the greenhouse. At least two thirds of the pot was just peat, very tightly packed peat and I cut out over half of the roots.

It was still in the plastic when I bought it so I never noticed it had something funky on one of the leaves could someone tell me what it is and if it is bad?

I repotted it so wish me luck that I don't kill it. lol

Thumbnail by robertsonj88 Thumbnail by robertsonj88 Thumbnail by robertsonj88 Thumbnail by robertsonj88
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It looks like you've done everything perfectly. The discolored leaf tip appears to have been sunburned. It will eventually dry and become sunken. You'll have to live with it if your Phalaenopsis decides to live with you. :) Welcome to orchids.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2013 6:04 PM

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Awesome, thanks! :)

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

You got a typical big-box Phal. IF it came from a greenhouse the day before, this is truly a "miracle plant". More likely it was warehoused/in transit for weeks. Be that as it may, most Phal. and other species are shipped in sphagnum moss. The moss holds moisture and when storage/shipping can take weeks, that moisture-holding ability keeps the plant alive. If you continue to grow it in moss, and in particular solid pots with moss, you are dealing with a dead plant eventually.

My suggestion would be to take it out of the moss, removing all you can. Put it in a small-mouthed pot than drains completely when watered. Don't put moss, bark, or anything else in this pot. The roots should be completely free of material so that they can dry out quickly and completely. Keep it in the shade with good air movement and mist/water it every-other-day. I couldn't care less whether the moisture covers the leaves or not. Some people think that water on the leaves is death to the plant - I couldn't disagree more. But that's simply my opinion. When you see new root growth and new leaf growth, pot it as you would normally, with a well-draining, orchid mix.

Sunburned leaves will never "heal". There will always be discoloration, from brown to black. It is only cosmetic. When the leaf/leaves finally die and fall away, problem solved.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I think the poster already addressed the above mentioned issues from the photos and post. Note the last photo of the plant in a lovely pot with lots of holes and bark. Typical big box Phals are a great way to start to learn and become interested in orchids. I doubt it was warehoused and in transit for weeks as I visit, along with others here, the greenhouses where theswe Phals are grown and see how they are finished out and shipped. Very quick. I also rescue these Phals for my local orchid society for resale for beginners.

I grow a lot of the more rare species in moss.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

klrkkr, I work at Lowes and got it fresh off of the cart. The plants come from a greenhouse about 11 hours away so the longest any of the plants have been in the truck was overnight and they are received at the store within the hour.

I can't see how it'd take weeks to get plants anywhere.

MaypopLaurel, now I keep eyeing up the rescue projects we have on the discount cart for $2. Lol

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I've had very good luck with some of the Big Box Store orchids. They have been great re-bloomers. I've gotten Orchids from "reputable" growers to find them packed into soaking wet moss.
Got a derilect Phal (for $2) that has now bwwn blooming for almost 5 mo. I haven't done a thing to her but add water occassionally. Figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.