Canna With red leaves No Flowers

Maple, ON

Hi one of the ladies that are renting where I am had about a dozen canna bulbs given to her and she planted them this spring .The lilly's with green leaves all have flowers ,however the lilly's with the red/burgundy leaves just seem to be producing leaves .can anyone explain this / will they ever produce flowers or are they meant for their foliage?

Calgary, Canada

I had the same problem a few years ago when I grew cannas.
I think the season is too short, up here, for some varieties to flower.
It was the burgundy leaved ones which did not flower for me.
I think they were a variety called "Australius".

Marlboro, NJ

One of the things that can increase the growth that you have is to start them in a greenhouse or a very warm , sunny place in you house about six weeks before the last frost occurs in your area. Then you will have a big head start with plants that should already be a foot or more and not have to wait for the canna rhizomes to start to grow.

Calgary, Canada

I had started them in the house.

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

My red leaved ones didn't get to bloom this year. Our spring was late so they didn't get into the ground til almost June. They are the later blooming ones in my opinion.

Kansasville, WI(Zone 5a)

Mine bloomed. It was already growing in a pot when it was put in the ground, and the soil was nice and loose and I fertilized it. It also got watered when needed. The plant is huge now.

Calgary, Canada

It seems like they need to be started early indoors or in greenhouse?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.