What's blooming in the woods? part 2

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Does anyone know what the first photo is? The rest are photos of the woods around the sunny clearing I want to populate with wildflowers. I have to post some pretty photos so you won't think my efforts to help the natives take back the woods is a lost cause!
The 4th photo is what I hope will be a "before" photo - everything except the raspberry thicket, switch grass and the goldenrod I just planted is pretty much hidden by the stilt grass. Even the hogweed is losing ground. Some of the stilt grass isn't long for this world, though - as soon as the switch grass goes to seed, I'm going to weed whack that patch.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

You stumped me. I don't know the plant in #1. However, I really like photo #3. It has a lovely composition.... you know, as art. The combination of the tall (goldenrod?) stems with the hog peanut leaves and the lichen crusted rock behind it is real pretty.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I looked for clues to plant # 1 last night, and noticed that the seed heads look like those of button bush. It doesn't look like a bush, but who knows, maybe it'll get there or maybe it's a related species. I think the tall plant in photo 3 is a late-blooming aster, possibly symphyotrichum pilosum. The leaves look similar to those of plants in Fairfax County parkland that are covered in tiny white flowers in late fall.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think your #1 is Geum canadense - White Avens.

It's a common wildflower that is relatively unassuming most of the time, with those cute little flower heads. Comes up around my deck all the time, which I pull just to keep it somewhat at bay. I'll never be totally rid of it, and I'm sure it has some redeeming quality that someone else on this forum could attest to.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78483/

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

It's not Japanese stilt grass - that's enough of a redeeming quality for me! Now, if it were growing in my yard rather than in the woods, I might feel differently.

Cross Timbers, MO(Zone 6a)

Pic #1 is definitely Geum canadense - White Avens. I have been fighting a battle with that stuff for year, can't seem to eradicate it. The flowers are very inconspicuous, produces alot of seed and the seeds seem to store in the soil for a long time, cause I don't see how it gets by me. But it returns every year, throughout the year.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I'm surprised I haven't seen more of it around. The LBJ Wildflower Center recommends it as a groundcover - I'm taking it you wouldn't agree!?! Well, that one plant is right by the creek, so I'll just have to take care not to get seeds stuck on my clothes if I go near it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.