Giant Black eye susans

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

In the area of zone 8 are these grown well I have half day full sun and coneflowers and salvia grow well in that bed...

Are these only going to last 2 years as a biennial?
That is what I read and if so I do not want to plant them for a short lived perennial?

do they drop seed and come up new plants the next year if you leave the flowers
on the stalk say in october?

Will the new plant also just make a rosette of leaves the lst year and bloom the second year and then have to be pulled up?

Please tell me what you know so that I can make a decision whether to return the giant
black eye susans I bought today from Home Depot.
thanks
sheridragonfly

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Missouri Botanical gardens says they are free seeding fast growing perennial ..
I would believe they are a 3-5 year perennial the will self sow and grow rapidly;
A trait shared by many of the Coneflower family.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Do you mean Rudbeckia maxima? I didn't realize they are short-lived -- say it ain't so? I just bought seed....

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is what some info says , only think White Asters and Ditch lily , Some times they might not seem to do well , but once they are there, they are always there .. That kind of thing .
Yes that's the flower I was reading about .. You realize some Coneflowers they are related to don't live all that long either , only with shoots and runners the same plant still can live 20 years or more , only it is not the same root it started on ..

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I was just hoping it would stay in one spot, more or less!

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

If you want a black eyed susan that will last forever you want Goldstrum is what I was told by a master gardener. I had problems keeping black eyed susan alive from one year to the next in my zone 5b until I bought Goldstrum which I have had for years now.
Jan

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

thank you for the Goldstrum comment and all others on here..for sharing
Will look for Goldstrum next spring at a Lowe's..
One of my fav plants in decades has been the red porterweed..
Loved it this year..it was the small growing type but it got to 4 foot tall by 3 foot
loved it and bloomed till Nov 8th lst freeze ..
Have to buy another from a nursery next may if this one does not seed back or return.
Sheri

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I wish red porterweed were hardy here!

Be careful with the Goldstrum types -- I love them, but they do self-seed a lot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.