Our August Orchids

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Better late than never?
Not much going on here,but I have a few.
Acropera galeata (Gongora), Encyclia chondylobulbon, Neofinetia falcate (from Ted), and a NOID Oncidium.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Carol, thanks for the new thread. Your orchids look amazing and you have gathered such an interesting collection! Has your greenhut made a significant difference in what and how you grow? I'd be interested in knowing.

I have had such a busy last few months and have not been up to maintaining a forum with such limited participation. My subscription is about to expire. I am not currently on any other boards nor do I have plans to join in elsewhere. The time and attention required is a bit much. I still feel strongly about this being the best place to be. The politics, religious ideologies and philosophies of other sites are not my cup of tea.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

edited

This message was edited Aug 24, 2013 2:03 PM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks! As to the orchid shack, it keeps them out of the winds and the winter rain. It also gives me a place for shelves to hang all those mounted ones and keeps them more or less together for watering. Unfortunately, not enough space to separate them according to both water and light needs. Unless we have some serious frost this year, I'm not planning on heating it again, so I may have some unhappy warm to intermediate growers, but the strong will survive...or not. I just don't have the space or energy for the fussy ones.
As to this site, I just renewed, but unless things change, I won't again. I don't feel the same as you about politics and ideologies, and there seem to be too many technical issues here that are slow to address, not to mention this new format. Ugh! Call me spoiled! LOL! I must not be the only one, judging by the lack of interest here.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I agree with Carol. I have been posting here for years and have had no issues with politics or ideologies, either here or on the other site. As to the technical issues, I like ATP better but that is not what is causing this change. With Laurel leaving, there is little reason for me to continue taking the time and effort to double post. I am still a member and may pop in from time to time but double posting is just too much. If anyone wants to see my orchids, they can and it's free.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Yup, what Jim said.

Not sure I will renew here again, either. ATP is free and better in almost every way.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

None of the references were meant to apply to the other site mentioned. It had to do with several other sites I've visited or participated in in the past. I actually love the changes here and support this site 100%. If you have other favorites then okay.

Despite their public presence online sites such as these are not huge corporate ventures. It's about a few people working like crazy behind the scenes who are challenged with trying to please all of the people all of the time. Dave's Garden is a small business venture with a big public eye. The people who work behind the scenes for this site work very hard.

My issue is not about any changes here but has been, and is, that posting is especially difficult when I'm short on time these days; nothing more and nothing less. Why I am called to task for not keeping this forum afloat is puzzling.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Aw, Laurel, we just miss you. You are the most knowledgable ,and the most patient with newbies and growing advice on this site, without being pompous. You also are good at keeping the conversation going, instead of just oowing and awing over each post. I know you have a life beyond orchids, and don't have a clue how you keep up with it, but the fact is that when you aren't here the forum is dead.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Last blooms for Aug. from me
First ever bloom on Brassavola cuculatta, and Gerberara 'snow ballet'

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Somehow, I missed this thread popping up. Not much happening with my Orchids except a lot of them just not being happy. Have had a couple die. Of course they hadn't bloomed in years so guess it just gives me more room to bring in the varieties I know I can handle.
The ones I tossed out & are hanging under the large palm all seem to be doing well. No blooms but alive.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

What is ATP?

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

The other gardening web site.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

All Things Plants

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Time to start a September thread.

The first picture is Pot. James Clasrkson x Pot. Miya's Glow 'Red Radiance'
The second and third pictures are V. 'Sunlight Orange', taken in shade and then in morning sun.
Ken

Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43 Thumbnail by drdawg43
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Hmm. Don't see an option to start a new thread...and they wonder why people are leaving.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ok! My mistake. I found it, but have nothing to post at this time.

north coast nsw, Australia

i cant see octobers thread?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

There isn't one I don't think. Not sure what happened.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.