Labels that don't erase

Mesilla Park, NM

I punch tin and sometimes use the aluminum flashing that is used for roofing. Aluminum flashing doesn't rust like tin will. Anyway, I thought you guys might like this a little. A roll of flashing will make you a couple hundred labels and cheaply too. You can use a hole punch on flashing to hang your labels. Here are a few I'm making tonight for my cuttings.

You can put a thick towel and place your label on top, then write by pressing down hard with an ink pen.

I usually make tin or flashing butterflies

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Long Beach, CA

Hay,, that is kind of neat! Thanks

Mesilla Park, NM

They are coming in really handy, some are 12" long and now I can forget what I have , easy to make too.

Long Beach, CA

I think I will take a trip to Home Depot tonight and get some of the flashing. One person makes them out of aluminum cans. I think I might cut myself if I tried that way, but that is kind of neat too.

Mesilla Park, NM

The nice thing about flashing and cans too, a paper cutter works on these. Use gloves anyway, a good pair of shears will work, even those dollar tree shears,, they work wonders on tin and cans, saves your good sicissors.

Long Beach, CA

Nice!! Tell me about the butterflies... how do you make those. They are adorable!

Mesilla Park, NM

Here are the instructions and this lady is a wonderful person, Pam Harris. I learned how to make frames by recycling coffee cans, bean cans, etc..

She has great and easy tutorials for lots of other things.

http://gingerbreadsnowflakes.com/node/65

Sorry I took so long to resopond.

A.

Mesilla Park, NM

Here's another label that is cheap, cheap, cheap to make... Use roofing discs.. Just punch a hole with a hole puncher and then emboss the plant name with a old ink pen, just be sue to put a towel under when writing... Best of all. NO CUTTING..

They are small, so you may have to use initials on them, but they are perfect for the plants like EP, etc..I think there are hundreds in this box. I made some small butterflies with a couple.

Cost.... A little over 5.00 at
Lowes or Home Depot

Thumbnail by Gourd
Long Beach, CA

You are just full of great ideas. I have not seen these and I LIVE at my local home depot!

Mesilla Park, NM

They are by the nails, and screws.. I even think there are smaller ones, but get the bigger ones. I was using these to make the small light shields for the Christmas Tree...

Long Beach, CA

So you know I have to go look. I like you!! You know how to makes brugs and plants fun!!

Mesilla Park, NM

I'm glad you like them.

Here is what the round discs look like after you write on them with a ball point pen. Use a hand held hole punch.

Edited to add that you can use a large nail to make the holes if you don't have a hole punch.

The round disc cutout s are made of tin is heavier and will rust giving it that nice rustic look. The aluminum flashing does not rust and is lighter in weight.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2013 11:41 AM

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Long Beach, CA

did you pain the black one or did it come like that?

Mesilla Park, NM

It is the angle of the camera, the reflection is dark. But, you give me an idea, we can paint the names on them with those paint markers ..

Long Beach, CA

will the paint stay? i would think it might flake off.
R

Mesilla Park, NM

They have markers for metal and glass. I don't know how long they would last, but they could be sealed with a clear spray paint afterwards , or emboss the letters then put some stain inside with a brush. When I trace a pattern onto metal, I usually use acetone or nail polish remover w/acetone, that's the only thing I know of that takes the paint off. So, I don't think it would flake off.

Long Beach, CA

OK. Very nice. I am a girl with tons of tools... and I use them, but I am not so savvy with paint!! Stain and grout... but not paint. LOL

Mesilla Park, NM

Glad you posted the labels at BGI , I hope they liked the idea.

A.

Long Beach, CA

The one I posted a t BGI came from ATP. You might want to show your goodies over there as well!!

Mesilla Park, NM

Send me link to that thread on ATP, I'm always interested in crafts.

Mesilla Park, NM

How interesting and different those are, that is the method I use to cover clear glass to make it look like designed tiles. Cool! Thanks for posting the link.

Long Beach, CA

You got it. Maybe you could sale some of your tags. Every thought about it?

Grand Rapids, MI(Zone 5a)

Gourd, could you give us a little further explanation about how you make labels using glass?

Mesilla Park, NM

I used the aluminum tape to put on clear glass to make tiles .

Long Beach, CA

Where do you get the glass?

Mesilla Park, NM

Clear glass , from a stained glass shop, hobby lobby or you can even use float glass. Scraps would bork fine too from broken windows, they are much thinner though. I hope that helps.

Just sent you a dmail requesting feedback. Thank you,
A.

Long Beach, CA

Sent the feedback. Aren't glass labels heavy?

Mesilla Park, NM

I make glass tiles, not labels. The site you posted uses the same method.

I hope that clears it up.
A.

Long Beach, CA

Antoinette ~ really want to thank you for turning me on to these tags. They work great.

Rhapsody

Mesilla Park, NM

Oh I'm so happy you like them. They last forever. I just made some more round ones for some replacements, some goy sprayed with paint when they sprayed they house. I know I can use steelwool to take off the speckled lab ekes, but it was easier and quicker to make more..

I dug out all my dr. Seuss plants out of those huge pots and brought them inside. I'm stuffing everything into the living room for now.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Long Beach, CA

The ball point pen thing is not working! I am writing on top of a double folded envelope. Maybe I need more padding.

Rhapsody

Mesilla Park, NM

You need to press down with some muscle ..lol, try pressing harder, then you will find out how much strength to apply.

I know it does take some strength but you will never lose a label to fading..

Good to hear from you.

A.

Long Beach, CA

Thanks for the tip. Will try that Monday!! And good to hear from you as well.

Every tried a metal etcher?

Mesilla Park, NM

I haven't tried the metal etcher. Did putting more muscle work. You need a thick dish towel under to use as a mat. That will let the pen emboss on the flashing or tin.

Long Beach, CA

I will try the towel thing in the A.M. What is odd is most sites say you can use a pencil... I don't see how LOL!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I use aluminum also, mine be a little thicker than you are using, but I have a dremel pin and write the names on the label. Now my writing is not the neatest but the tags last. I bought some wire, drilled holes in my labels (I do a bunch at a time so when I am ready) and using needle nose pliers bend the wire and attach the label. It will with stand my dogs running thru the garden during the winter.

I have also bought metal tags and used my DH stamp set to put the name on the tags. Takes longer but really classy looking for those special plants or areas.

Mesilla Park, NM

Sounds like a great idea, any photos..

I just made some other labels using thick clear plastic. They are coming out really cool and I'll let you Guys know how long they last and if the marker lasts. They may not be for commercial use but I really like them. I'll take photos soon .

Mesilla Park, NM

Another cheap and very effective marking system,, I used clear vinyl that us used to protect tables. I used the yellow as a template, and cut one inch strips. I don't know how long the marker will last but it's working for me .

Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd Thumbnail by Gourd
Long Beach, CA

What is a DH stamp set? And what bit number is the dremel pin? Please post pictures. I am having a really hard time getting a deep enough letting into the tags.

Thanks bunches

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.