Raccoon Files: NextGen 1

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

So cute!!! :)

I think you need more time with the raccoons. The sunlight can wait. ;)

Yes, Court (my partner of 12+ years) really enjoyed basking in the light. He was sorry to have to give it up, but I'd told my neighbor's brother about it while he was in the hospital. I don't think he "gets" it. But it was the thought....

I should look into another for the house here. OR you could look at something like the self-ballasted lamps I have to buy for Rita as they emit full spectrum UVA, UVB, and all that good stuff she needs to produce vitamin d and process calcium for her bones.

Ugh. It's one of THOSE days here Cheryl. Ours like yours just ain't what it used to be. Feeling like a nap.

xox

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

http://www.mountainside-medical.com/day-light-therapy-lamp-dl930-sad.html

This is exactly what I gave to my neighbor. I found it on ebay hardly used for $100.

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Cheryl,

Love the story of the racoons congregating under your bedroom window & pulling at your pant legs - amazing that this generation will grow up without fear of you... So glad that Sheri & Amanda may have pointed you in a direction to help you identify & alleviate your SAD!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

OK... picture this: All the kits from Desi's gang siting allready at their raccoon sized electric rock instruments.....set up, of course under Cheryl's BR window.....waiting....in position.... for the clock to hit 1AM.....and The Raccoon Bop Review begins!!!! This of course is Desi's gang!! The crowd is growing every night!! ;-D

I just got one of those floor full spectrum My Dr said as long as it said 'full spectrum' lamps last spring when they got marked down a bit for spring in prep for this winter & it ought to do the trick!

Sheri & lots of quadraped hugs!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good for you Sheri - the 10,000 lumens are supposed to be the best. 30 minutes a day and you're good as new (!?).

I looked again and could get one gently used on ebay for $100 or less including shipping. Sometime's it's best to wait it out on stuff like that.

When is Desi's group going on tour? I haven't been to the GSO coliseum in a while...

Hi Cheryl,
I am wondering if the Desi gang is persisting with their nightly poker games outside by the TV light of your bedroom window?

Heidi was one smart cookie, but if Desi and kids have figured out how to awaken you to get food on their schedule, that sure takes the cake! As no doubt they gladly would!

Sheri

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I also think that is pretty funny. How on earth did they figure that out?! Unless they are climbing ALL the doors and windows looking in and following Cheryl around the house. We can hear squirrels skitter across the roof now and then. Drives the dogs crazy. :)

I think it is because they know if the kitchen light is on there's a good chance of getting to see the cookie lady. Cheryl has shared many times that she often leaves the BR TV on @ night. So they of course are drawn to that light with a similar hope and they don't mind playing while they wait. Heck, that nice cookie lady has even provided toys outside for their entertainment!

Cheryl I miss you when you take these writing vacations. You are in my prayers and I hope you are not having a difficult time with any of those chronic pain issues that we share.

Hugs,
Sheri

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

I'm here, and I'm fine. No pain issues. I do have some problems to deal with right now, but I guess that's life. Right now I need to get to sleep, but I will try to get back here soon to discuss things.

Thank you very, very much for being there for me and for caring. It means a lot. Sorry about the writing vacations. Things just got in the way. The image you painted of the raccoon band serenading me from below the window was adorable. Actually, they don't do that on a regular basis, surprisingly. They have only done it twice that I know of - where they fidget and play directly under my bedroom window making soft sounds while apparently waiting for me to show up and feed them. (Note that when they do this they really are not noisy, just making soft sounds as they move around under the window, the crack of a stick as one steps on it, that sort of thing.) Not sure, since both time when they did do this they were handsomely rewarded with dinner and goodies, why they haven't made a habit of it, but they have not - and I'm glad.

You also show a very good recall of things I've said. I do often go to sleep with the TV on and forget to turn it off until well into the night. It's a bad habit I acquired when my fiancee and I broke up some years back. I had difficulty sleeping alone & the TV seemed to help. I agree that the raccoons learn to watch for such things as kitchen lights to signify I'm in there cooking and thus likely available to pass out treats.

Determining when I'm in the MBR is a bit trickier. I go in there an hour or two before bedtime. Then I read and/or watch a little TV to unwind. Often the TV is on softly in the background even when I'm not watching it. The noise helps to create the illusion of family, of others in the home. Sad. I know. Anyhow, sometimes I will get up and go to the kitchen or other room and leave the MBR TV & lights on, so they can't use those as indicators of when I'm actually in bed.

I suspect that they can actually tell by smell where I am in the house. This house is only a little over a decade old. It is very heavily insulated, a comment I hear from everyone who has to climb up into the attic. It meets the qualifications for the electric companies lowest rate because it is very energy efficient. All that said, however, no house is air-tight. An air-tight house would not be good for our healthy anyhow. When it is very cold I can feel a light draft if I stand beside the bedroom window, so right there I know there is a small transfer of air in the area where the raccoons hang out on occasion to 'serande' me.

That window is about 5ft from the bed, and that's my side of the bed. Under that window they are very close to me, and with that slight draft around the window, I think they can detect my sent. That's how I think they know when I'm in the bed as apposed to elsewhere in the house. Of course, it's possible the whole thing could be just a coincidence, although I'm inclined to doubt it. Our sense of smell is so negligible compared to that of most animals that it is very difficult for us to comprehend the amount of information which is available to them through smell, information which is lost to us.

A quick aside on the smell issue...Grizzly bears have such sensitive noses that the male can smell a female a mile or two away! I forgot where this next incident happened. I'm going to say Alaska, but I'm not certain. Anyhow, a grizzly bear broke into a cabin that was not inhabited at the time. The owners had left canned goods in the cabin for their return. The bear went through all of the can goods and opened & ate ONLY the ones he liked while bypassing every single can of this one vegetable he didn't want. He ate all of the salmon and left all of the spinach untouched. The question for animal researchers was how the bear could possibly know what was in those sealed cans. (These were not old cans, btw)

It seems safe to assume the bear did not read the labels. So how then did he determine the cans' contents before opening them? Could he actually smell the contents through the cans? It seems unlikely since cans have to be air tight to keep food from spoiling. Still there is a lot we don't know still about what goes on at the quantum level. What we call air-tight, may not preclude the movement of some molecules through the surface. At this time, we really don't know how the bear managed to determine the contents of sealed cans. It's possible he could smell the contents through the can. We just don't know. This is just so far beyond our capability. At present, scientists believe the bear was actually able to smell faint traces of the contents on the surface of the can left over from the factory. Either way, the ability to use smell to determine the contents of sealed cans is beyond not only our ability but even our imagination.

And you are right about the toys, too. The raccoons still play with those toys. I see the toys move around from place to place often, and there are some toys under my MBR window, the very window where the raccoons are known to hang out at times. The toys were put under that window by the kits who took them there to play with while waiting. I love it when their behaviors parallel those of human kids.

Back soon to chat more about things.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good morning. :)

good morning! Since you were up writing to us till 3, I hope you are still sleeping. (I will type very quietly!)
Thanks for chating with us. There is so much going on these days that affects my ability to stay @ peace. You may have heard about the budget cuts & Obama care and other silly things that people in Washington get paid salaries of many many thousands of dollars just to decide what they are going to take away from Mr John Q public. These are unsettling times to say the least.
Are you If not, I can well understand why you have many things on your mind.
My house was built in 1960 & is pretty well insulated I think. There was a fire 12/98 and I believe some updated insulation was put in the basement, but don't know about the attic.

If I didn't have my faith and church family to lean on and fellowship with, including talking when the fear tears are flowing, I know I'd really be a mess.
Oh my P lease forgive me for being way OT on the raccoon thread. I'm always very glad to see that you have written something and at least are with us & hopefully OK.

Hugs, Sheri

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Good morning, Amanda, Sheri, Liz, and Everyone!

Yes, I'm up late again. I did catch a nap earlier but need to get back to sleep asap. There is something I need to share with all of you. I was hoping to do it today, but today ended up being long, busy, and unbelievably hectic. Hopefully, I will be able to talk some tomorrow. There is a chance a may loose my internet connection for a short time, so if I don't make it back for a while, that will be the reason. I'll be back when I can. When I do get the time to talk, I will probably post it over on the Back Porch thread in keeping with my efforts to try to keep my OT ramblings from 'clogging' up the raccoon story.

On the subject of raccoons, I spent some time today with a guy who told me a [true] story that terrified me to the core. I'll share that w/you, too, as soon as I can.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

Just FYI, your post was fine, not an OT problem at all. I appreciate that you are concerned about me. In my last post when I said I was going over to the Back Porch thread (eventually) to discuss what has been going on with me - so as to avoid putting a lot of OT stuff in this thread, I was totally not referring to your post. I was talking about ME, and ONLY me, mainly because I tend to write those really long sagas, & I didn't want to write a mile long OT post here when I could just as easily put it on the Back Porch thread (Rants, Raves, etc). Your posts are fine. (I just seem to put my foot in my mouth at every turn lately.)

Cheryl, you DO NOT put your foot in your mouth! The only thing I've seen in there is a raccoon's paw! ;-) Seriously, nuance is often lost on the internet. Glad to see your recent posts, but hope you never feel obligated to entertain us... Hope the changes coming are positive or will lead in positive directions!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTF, Liz!

I really enjoyed that about the raccoon's paw. :-)

I really don't write out of a sense of obligation or feeling that I need to entertain you guys. For the most part, I only write when the mood strikes me. It's something I enjoy, both the act of writing and the camaraderie I find here with you guys. A very few times I tried to force myself to write when I really didn't want to, usually when the raccoons had done something significant and I felt a need to record the event while still semi-fresh, but I try to avoid it. When I'm in the mood to write, words just seem to flow freely and effortlessly. Conversely, if I try to force it when I'm not in the mood, I find that I struggle mightily, stumbling over my words. It's not worth it for writer OR reader.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As I may not be here after today, I guess it is time now to fess up, so here goes.

The reason the raccoon stopped showing up is that I stopped feeding them - months ago. I did so out of necessity. I needed to save what remained of their food for the cats. I'm broke. Really, really broke. I sold my engagement ring last week to keep the lights on and buy more cat & dog food, both of which were down to the last few dregs. I'm eating the last of the pantry staples. Last week I took the colorful, dried beans in decorative containers down from the ledge over the cabinets where they had been for some 12yrs. I'm eating decorations now. (trying to keep a sense of humor)

I'm not work and haven't been since I lost that last job when the company went out of business. By now you might be tempted to think me a bad worker, but really I've always been an excellent worker. Things are just really, really bad here. A few months ago I learned that SC was hit harder by the economic downturn than most states. The unemployment numbers typically quoted on the news do not apply to us. Ours are much higher than the norm.

I've kept in touch with a handful of colleagues including my former project manager from the job I was on a few years back when I 1st began this decent into joblessness. She was like the only female I worked with since I got into the software business here, and she was more management, didn't actually write software. Anyhow, I think that was back around 2009 or so when I lost that 1st job. She and the rest of our group lost theirs, too. The company just didn't have the work to support us anymore. We supported the military, and as you may have heard there have been substantial cutbacks in that field, along with other issues like Sequester also effecting it.

She (my former project manager), lets call her Dianne, lost her $1.5millon house on one of the barrier islands, and was forced to move to DC to find employment. In emails she lamented how miserable she was there, not knowing anyone, just working and sleeping - which surprised me as she is a very beautiful woman and was always very outgoing and popular. A few months ago she wrote to tell me that she had lost her job in DC. Ouch! For the work we do, DC is the happening place not to mention a place with good employment numbers, but I guess it is probably overflowing with all of the people who left here desperate for work. Just about all of my colleagues have left now, forced to move elsewhere in search of jobs. The pickings are slim here now.

A few months ago I was looking at maps in my community, can't recall why, but something popped up on the page showing 3 houses close by me that were in foreclosure, 1 about a block from me in each direction, the 3rd right across the street. I live in an affluent area. These are not poor people - at least they weren't at one time. Most of the people in this community are business owners. Some are attorneys, accountants, managers, etc. My former neighbor was an airline pilot. Gladys Kravitz across the street owns a florist shop. Her clients are primarily hotels and other businesses in the downtown area. (You might recall some years back when Gladys cut all of the lower limbs from my then small magnolia tree to use in her arrangements - robbing me of lower branches whose blooms I might be able to photograph & forcing me to take distant shots at bad angles of blooms up high in the tree. Thanks, Gladys!)

Gladys is not the neighbor across the street who lost her house, btw. She is sort of diagonally across from me, actually across from my neighbor on that side. The guy across from me was the one I mentioned once or twice (possibly in one of my other threads, can't recall). I mentioned him having a HUGE boat that he often kept in his backyard in violation of HOA rules(his backyard is actually across from me because his house is on the corner of my street and a side street). Although the boat spoiled any view from my front windows, I didn't mind the boat that much. I just didn't appreciate that he drove his SUV & the boat over my driveway when moving it in/out of his yard. It was just too huge to maneuver otherwise, but I didn't care for the wear and tear on my driveway & edges of my lawn (or semicircle of muddy tracks across both). About the HOA, he said it was cheaper to pay the HOA fines than to pay rent/lease on a proper space for the boat.

That boat was so large. Sitting on the trailer it was as tall as the 2-story house. I was shocked when he lost his house. I was also shocked to realize there were so many houses/people going under around me at that time. And that was this past summer when the worst of the housing mess was supposed to be over. I knew we had lost a number of families at the beginning of the economic downturn but had no idea it was still going on. And those 3 in summer were just the ones I happened to see by accident while looking at the map of my neighborhood. Who knows how many have gone under before and since. I don't look for that info. Prefer not to know.

I felt awful for the guy across the street - and bad for having been angry over something so negligible as the driveway thing. I never really new him, but being also job and financially challenged in recent years, I felt a kinship, nonetheless.

I have more to tell you, but am going to stop now & start a new thread to try to keep from writing a really long one that goes on and on and on.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

For a long time I felt really bad, like embarrassed, about my situation. Despite the things I had heard on the news, esp in earlier years, I somehow thought it was just me that was doing so poorly. It broke my heart to hear about Dianne, the guy across the street and others who were also struggling and even loosing their homes, but it did help me to realize that it really isn't just me at all. These were all prominent, well educated, and highly successful people just a few years ago, before the economic downturn hit the country, apparently sending my state, not a rich state to begin with, spiraling into economic free-fall.

Cocoa is in here with me right now. He and Kitty came in a few minutes ago. Cocoa is being really, really sweet because he's begging for another treat. I limit him to a strict 2/day now, because I can't buy more when the bag we have is empty. Luckily, I bought 2 bags when I did have money, but when those are gone. That's it until I get a job. He is begging for a treat, because he & Kitty are now forced to eat the cheap, grocery store kibble I used to feed to the raccoons. They aren't happy about it but prefer it vs nothing.

On the plus side (told you I'm trying to remember to see the positives), Cocoa has lost that spare tire I was worried about. He has a tendency to overeat. Back when he was staying inside so much (before the water heater incident - which btw cost me > $1000 when I had no job), Cocoa had gained enough weight to have me concerned. He looked normal when standing/walking, but there was no way he could hide that big gut when lying down. It was getting so that he was having trouble finding a comfortable position for lying down. When sitting, he had to put his hind legs wide apart to make room for his tummy. He is thin now. Between not being inside so much after the water incident and not liking the cheap food, he has lost every bit of that excess weight - so that is a good thing that came out of all of this.

As for me, I'm not starving, so don't worry. I'm not eating particularly great food, but I do have food, and I am very thankful for that. I have long since run out of vegetables, bread, snacks, and most stapes, but I had a collection of dried beans, various types in the pantry - not to mention the ones from the decorative containers. Most of those beans are 12+yrs old, but thankfully I have a pressure cooker and thus am able to cook them w/o problems. Beans in combination with rice are pretty nourishing. In many places around the world, that's largely all that people have to eat, so I figure I should be fine. And maybe, like Cocoa, I will also loose a few lbs.

f you read my cake batter fudge recipe (Back Porch), you may be thinking, "but you have fudge". I did, only because I had a few old cake mixes in the pantry that expired in 2009 (but made very yummy candy, and I was thankful for every crumb). I still have a box and a half of cake mix left, but I'm out of sugar now, so no more fudge - not that I needed anymore, mind you.

Unfortunately, now in the middle of all of this financial chaos, my DG membership is expiring. I thought it said Nov 7, but the message I got today said it expires tomorrow. I'm not sure if that means I will be cut off tomorrow or the next day. I've tried very hard to conceal all of this from you for almost 2yrs now, since I lost my last job when the company went under. I did this for 2 reasons. First, I really didn't want to talk about it at the time, I guess because I was feeling so awful about myself for letting this happen. When I lost my job the 1st time, I really needed to talk about it, but this time not so much. Second, I didn't want to bring my problems to you. I wanted this to be a happy place, a place where we could talk about the raccoons and not always have to talk about my problems.

Still, it looks as though I may be MIA for a while, and I figured I should tell you why. You are bound to notice that I'm gone, and at least this way you won't have to worry about whether something awful happened to me - something worse than poverty and starvation. I've been struggling these last few days over whether to pay the $5 to extend my DG membership for 2mo in hopes that things will be better by then, but really can't even afford that right now.

Cocoa is back again to beg for a treat...(continued)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Liz,

Recently, you responded to one of my posts with applause that I had found a job. Wondering what prompted that, I went back and reread my post and saw that I had committed major, pronoun ambiguity, something I strive to avoid but failed on that occasion. In the post, I was talking about Cocoa's recently elevated fear of people & the house after that water heater incident. Then, as I am known to do, I introduced another topic, that of my recent unemployment. I went on to say that the problem with Cocoa is pretty much resolved now, but did so using words along the line of, "that's no longer a problem."

I meant Cocoa was sufficiently over his fear, at least such that it was no longer keeping him from coming inside to eat. Unfortunately, having introduced the topic of my unemployment, the sentence read as if to announce the end of my unemployment woes. Had I stopped to proofread my post, I'm sure I would have seen that glaring faux pas before it went 'to press'. In reality, I only saw it when I went back to see where you got the wrong idea.

I don't think I responded to your post congratulating me on my job. I didn't know quite what to say. I was still trying desperately to hide my situation. I didn't want to lie, and I didn't want to tell the truth, so I think I went with the ostrich approach. Your genuine happiness for me came through clearly in that post, and I thank you for that - even if it wasn't entirely justified by the facts. I also wanted to tell you how truly happy I am for you and for the success you are having in your career. But as that post was touching what for me had become 'the 3rd rail', I kept my distance & ran. Sorry about that. I figured in light of my big reveal here today, I should probably explain that situation.

are you continuing this one or starting a new one....can't find it...You were going to tell us about a true story someone told you that shook you
I wondered it you had been out of work ALL OF THIS TIME...Something just just didn't settle right in my spirit +r comments here and there.
Have you checked on food stamps? Don't be to proud, I think they even have pet food stamps now. I am praying for you and your situation Cheryl. If I can do anything to help I will and do not hesitate to ask. We love you lady You are the sister I never had. I am so sorry that you have kept this secret all to yourself. A problem shared is often half as bad.
Love,

Sheri

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I guess when my time expires here, maybe I will go over to the other site, if it is still free. I will miss you guys, btw, & I will probably be back eventually. There is more, but I'm getting tired of typing now - and I still need to tell you that one last raccoon story before I go.

Oh, about Desi and the gang, I wouldn't worry to much about them. They must not be to terribly hungry since I stopped feeding them. I put some mashed, black beans out there last week, and they never did eat them, nor for that matter did any critter. Something ate about 1/2. The rest, I tossed, when it got moldy.

While foraging about the pantry in search of food, I had found a small, 2 serving box of what was supposed to be black bean soup, except that it was a really, really OLD box of preservative-free, 5min to cook, soup I bought from Earth Fare so long ago it was like another life. I started to just toss it but decided to take the 5min to make it, figuring if I couldn't eat it, I would give it to the raccoons. I actually ate a few small spoonfuls, trying to convince myself to eat it, but it was really, really horrible. It really didn't taste like beans at all. That I even consumed a few spoonfuls is tribute to just how bad things are. I also offered it to Widget, who usually loves beans. Like me, he ate a few mouthfuls and did so gingerly before deciding it wasn't for him. Apparently, the raccoons and even the opossums, mice, rats, and insects have since agreed with our findings.

Long before I stopped feeding the raccoons altogether, I had cut them back to a very small portion, just a single scoop for all 4 of them - and I'm talking about a small scoop not one of those giant ones like for horse or cattle food. It wasn't even enough for one of them, let alone 4, but I knew I could not afford to feed all of them. I was trying to stretch the food as far as I could, but eventually I had to stop altogether, just to make sure my cats had food. Sorry about that. I know you guys were hoping to hear raccoon kit stories. Maybe another year.

Switching back to the subject of how bad things are around here, it is also very noticeable in area businesses. I don't go out much. The past couple years I've barely driven my car enough to keep the battery charged. I drove it only for necessities, a monthly trip to the drug store a mile or so down the street to get my refill, and a trip for a few groceries every two months or so, mostly when the cat/dog food ran out. When I did go out, it was depressing to see the condition of area stores.

Nothing here is thriving. Nothing. Many businesses, even formerly popular ones, have gone out of business. Others are under new management. Many of those are substantially rundown, and I'm talking about stores that were booming 3-4yrs ago, even big name gas stations and quick stop type places in what used to be busy areas. One big name gas station where I used to stop often is now so run down it looks kind of scary inside, like places on the 'wrong side of town', except that this is supposed to be the good side of town.

Parking lots that used to be overflowing are virtually empty - if you have any money to spend, you can park right up near the front door. Even the usually popular fast food joints that always had a line of cars wrapping around the building now have a bored-looking person standing around at the drive-thru window waiting for a car to show up - NOT that I go there. These are things I see in passing or while waiting at a traffic light. I haven't been to a drive thru or otherwise eaten anything I didn't cook in so long I can't remember it (but that is another of the up sides of all of this, as I'm sure I am healthier for it).

At any rate, the state of things around here is scary. For the longest time, I've been worried that the drug store near me will close. When I go there, it's like I'm the only customer. About a year or so ago, they even started calling me (in person, the pharmacist even) to ask if I want to refill my prescription. They have online refills, auto refills, refill reminders, etc. I'm not currently signed up for any of those things, but the pharmacist started to call me to see if I wanted to refill things - like they need to drum up business. Oh, and my bank. There is never anyone there. If I had any money to worry about, I would definitely worry about them. I realize most people (myself included) do most things online (of phone) these days, but surely there should be a few people at the bank, no? I think we may be about to close the whole darned city. (shh! I'm probably not supposed to say that. If you are a tourist thinking of coming here, please disregard. Things are booming here. )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

Your kind and caring words do mean a lot to me. I thank you.

Sorry about hiding the story in the middle of all that mess about, well, me. I am going to tell the raccoon story now in the very next post. I don't know if it's as big a deal as you are hoping for, but it did make my blood curdle at the time.

I had a feeling I'd put my foot in my mouth, when I mentioned that I thought you were jobless.... because you went away for a while. I thought it was due to pride.

I'm sorry to hear that's your current situation, but glad that you understand that it has nothing to do with you personally! As Sheri said, I hope you're making use of any benefits available. You've paid into the system for many years & have earned any help you may get.

I have faith in you & know your situation, though awful, is temporary. So keep the faith & know that we're behind you 200%. See you soon. Much love!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

THE RACCOON STORY about which I spoke...

So the other day I had to take my car to the shop. Well, to be more precise, AAA had to drag it there and me with it, but that's another story altogether. The garage/mechanic has a shuttle to take you to work or home and pick you up again. As the guy (older, retired guy) was driving me home, we passed a dead raccoon on the shoulder. This prompted the topic of raccoons, and he began to tell me this story about what happened to his son.

As I mentioned, the shuttle driver is an older, retired guy, so I'm guessing his son would be in 30's or 40's, just to give you the right mental picture. This guy has been driving the shuttle for a while. He strikes me as a straight-up kind of guy. When some people talk, I hear fiction, but this guy comes across as for real, so I did not doubt his story, plus the facts all rang true...

He told me that his son lives in a rural area that is quite some distance from here, not in Charleston county or the Charleston tri-county area. He mentioned the name of the town because it is an area generally known to those who live in the area where I grew up, even though it's not close to that area either. I mention all of this about the area, because his son has raccoons. I hesitate to use the word 'pet', only because he didn't use that word, and I don't know the circumstances under which his son would be keeping raccoons.

'Pet' raccoons are illegal in Charleston. I believe they are illegal in all of SC but am not certain of that. Still, while you probably couldn't get away with an illegal, pet raccoon here in the city where I live with neighbors so close, SC has lots of rural areas, many of which are quite some distance from 'civilization', the kind of places where houses are not in sight of each other and there are no prying eyes, places where one could easily keep raccoons and no one would particularly care.

The driver was telling me about a wild raccoon that showed up at his sons house one night and about how that wild raccoon seemed to be acting in a very suspicious manner. At this point in the story, my concern was for the raccoon. It's all too common for people to shoot 1st and ask question later where raccoons are concerned. It's also very common for people to jump to the 'rabies' conclusion about every raccoon they see. I've been guilty of jumping to that conclusion a time or two myself, but then I don't shoot them.

It must be rough to be a raccoon these days, especially one living on the east coast anywhere from Florida to W Virginia, areas where the incidence of rabies is particularly high, and people think raccoon=rabies=kill. Just about anything they do can be interpreted as strange and get them killed. Just walking around in daylight can get them blown away. Even getting sick with the raccoon version of the flu can cause them to wobble about & appear strange. Imagine if having the flu could get you shot. Rough life.

***aside. oh, man. I am not right. I got so caught up in tell you my sob story that I totally forgot and left Widget outside in the back yard alone after dark. Poor baby. I never even allow him to go in the backyard after dark much less stay out there. He is such a tiny fella, 5lb or so. Not only do the raccoons come around the backyard after dark, but I often here an owl hooting back there. Sometimes even right along the forest edge. An owl could probably pick Widget up and take him off.

I had let Widget out before dark - way back when I said the cats came in. I usually let him stay out there for a while. He enjoys sniffing everything and just being a dog. Since it is fenced, I don't worry about him as long as it is daytime. When he finishes his work and his recreation, he comes back to the patio door where he sits right up against the door on the narrow door facing. Then I know to let him back in. This is the 1st time I ever forgot him. Poor thing. He must have been so scared out there in the dark.

When I called him, he didn't come. I called and called and called. No Widget. I even went to the front door and called just in case he managed to escape through the tiny gap under the gate or something. Still no Widget. I went back to the back door to call some more. I was just getting my boots on to go out and look for him when he finally showed up. I guess he was hiding from the critters out there. Whew! I must be more careful. He sure was awfully happy to get back in the house though. ****

OK, back to our story:

So, this raccoon was hanging around the son's house and acting strange. Just as I feared, the son grabbed his shotgun and killed the raccoon. The next day he went out and buried it. A day or so after that, one of his 'pet' raccoons bit him (the son). The son didn't think to much about the bite, didn't go to the Dr. This was the part where my blood started to curdle. The idea of anyone being bitten by a raccoon, even a 'pet', and not getting shots was absolutely terrifying to me. I was about to ask how long ago that was and try to convince him the son should report the incident and get those shots, when he continued with his story...

About a week went by, and the son's hand became badly swollen and looked awful. Thinking his hand had some kind of infection, the son finally went to his Dr in search of antibiotics. (By this part, I was totally freaking out.) The Dr probed for info on what happened to the hand. Finally, the son told him the truth, including, as the Dr probed farther, the part about shooting & burying the wild raccoon that didn't seem right.

The Dr had officials go out to the son's house to dig the raccoon up. They took samples & did a RUSH job on the lab work. The results indicated the wild raccoon, the one the son shot because he thought it was acting strange, was POSITIVE for rabies! The wild raccoon had managed somehow to bite one of the 'pet' raccoons that were in a cage outside. Thus the man had been infected with the rabies virus when the pet raccoon later bit him. The son was immediately started on a course of rabies shots and was unbelievably lucky, since he just barely managed to get the shots in the nick of time.

(I can't even believe they held off on the shots until they tested the animal. My only guess is this must have occurred some time back. There was a time when the 'official' reaction to a suspicious bite was to wait to see if the animal (if a pet) became ill or test it if available. These days, I think they give shots 1st and ask question later, but I could be wrong. Either way, I guess they still wanted to test the animal, since they keep records regarding the incidence of rabid animals. Sadly, as you might imagine, all of the 'pet' raccoons had to be euthanized. I'm guessing this story explains very precisely why it is illegal to own a 'pet' raccoon here in the middle of rabies territory.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Liz!

On that one post I believe you indicated thinking I had gotten a job. I had written the sentence such that it sounded like I was saying the job situation was no longer a problem when, in fact, I meant to say that Cocoa's fear of coming inside to eat was no longer a problem. I used the pronoun 'that' in a manner which left it's noun in question when I said, "that's no longer a problem". It was totally my mistake.

Anyhow, no problem at all. Several people asked me at one time or another if I was out of work again. In each case, I knew that the person was asking out of true concern. I just didn't want to reveal it at that time. From the very beginning of this my 2nd period of unemployment, I was aware that some of my activities, especially that of typing throughout the night and day, would lead some of you to question if I was working. I decided there wasn't much I could do about that, as sometimes I really needed to talk to you at the times I did, just as a means of coping with my situation. It also occurred to me, when I was typing a LOT during the day, that anyone who thought I really was working must think, "no wonder she got laid off from the other job. She's typing online all day, when she should be working".

For a long time, I really did think it was me, that it was my fault somehow that I wasn't working. I blaming that, in part, on menopausal thinking. Somehow I believed everyone else had a job, except me. It wasn't until I saw everyone else 'falling down' that I finally realized how ridiculous my thinking had been.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

About gov assistance, I'm going to check on that this week, but I am not overly optimistic. Unless things have changed, I believe assistance is only available in this state for the elderly, the severely disabled, and those with children. We are a very, very red state. Able bodied people are expected to take care of themselves here. We take care of families with children in hopes of taking care of the children, since they cannot help themselves. Likewise, it is accepted that the elderly and severely disabled may not be able to help themselves, so we help them. Unless things have changed, everyone else is on there own.

I think there is medical assistance available. I need to check into that, too. For 2yrs now I've been paying $600/mo for insurance - plus additional $35/45 for Drs visits. On top of that I was paying for monthly refills on medication. One of my meds was $250/mo WITH insurance. I've been shelling out almost $1000/mo for medical (insurance + meds) while not working. That's in addition to a hefty mortgage and all the other usual bills.

During the time I was on that last job, I knew things were dicey with that company, so I saved every dollar I could. Since I lost my job, I haven't spent any money except on essentials. Just food, meds, mortgage, utilities, etc. This past year I didn't even keep my landscaper/gardener. I got out there with my garden tools and did it myself. Sometimes it took me all day, because I had to do a little, sit a little, do a little, and so on. I had to sit every so often because of the pain in my back. I wasn't tired or out of breath or anything like that. Just can only do so much due to the pain. Sitting for a few minutes acts like a reset, so when I get up again I start over with the pain back down fairly low. Then after I work a little while the pain starts to scream louder and louder. But I managed to do the work, and it actually felt good to be out there doing stuff.

This summer, my neighbor has been mowing & edging the front yard. I do the backyard, the part the HOA can't see, so it doesn't have to be perfect. He is a wonderful neighbor. At the beginning of the summer, I started out trying to do it all. My work a little, sit a little method doesn't go over as well in the front yard, where clippings and trimming look bad sitting around for me to return. Plus, I wasn't able to do a very good job of the edging. The edging tool puts a lot of weight in front of me, pulling on my back. After seeing me struggle with it, he started doing my yard when he does his.

I've been trying to think of a good thank you gift or way to say thank you, in case anyone has ideas. Any gift I couldn't make from things I have on hand (and won't need soon) would have to wait until I have a job. I've said, "thank you" verbally, but wish I could do something more to show my appreciation. Just so we are clear, this is a married neighbor, not a potentially romantic situation, so please think accordingly if/when suggesting gift or thank you ideas.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

O hell.

I was going to be secretive and pay for your DG subscription but some lousy fink beat me to it. ;)

Someone paid mine a couple of years ago - we're supposed to pay it forward.

For all the entertainment you have provided me since I've been reading your threads I would gladly pay a zillion dollars. If I had them. Things are rough all over. True. I'm fortunate to have a great guy to lean on - stupid me borrowing more money to finish this master's degree which may (I hope) open other doors that have been closed all along.

I think you'll find as you've known all along that excepting for admin, the folks on DG form a network of loving arms to embrace you. Thank you for sharing. I know it's hard.

About your neighbor - maybe you could use up another one of your old boxes of cake and make him some fudge. ;)

xox
A.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I'm here every week or so but "the cat has got my tongue" and I can never think of anything to post. Praying for us all. ♥

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

To That Wonderful Friend Who Paid My DG Subscription:

As you will surely know by now, I can talk (or write) up a storm most of the time, but it is at times like this, when someone does something so kind, generous, and selfless for me, that I find myself totally without words. Perhaps it is because no words can possibly articulate how I feel at a moment such as this that I find myself so uncharacteristically speechless. Please know that I appreciate your act of kindness more than I can say. As much as it makes me happy to know that I will not be cutoff from DG & all of my friends here, it is the mere fact that you cared enough to do this for me that means the most to me. Thank you.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Amanda,

It's the thought that counts - even if that "lousy fink" did beat you to it. I was tempted to direct my thank you post for the DG membership "to the lousy fink" who beat you to it (still keeping my perhaps somewhat strange sense of humor despite all of this), but I was afraid that might not set the right tone. ;-)

The folks at DG are a wonderful and caring bunch for sure, and I think the ones who frequent this thread are among the very best of that group. I firmly believe that a great deal of the credit for getting me through all of this goes to you guys, especially that 1st year when I was unemployed for the 1st time ever and was still battling severe perimenopause symptoms and, at that time, severe pain. I really don't know if I would have made it through all of this & that year in particular had I not had all of you there, close by, to talk to.

That 1st year I was particularly alone & frightened, and, worst of all, back then I was trying to deal with it all with a hormonally challenged brain. Plus, back then I couldn't even turn over in bed w/o severe pain. That was a most difficult time for me, and I will be forever thankful that all of you were here to help me through it.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi June,

I totally understand that 'nothing to say' thing - as hard as it may be to believe given my usual, over proliferation of words. Although I spend the vast majority of my DG time on these threads, on rare occasion I go out and 'wander' around on DG, reading various things. At such times, I often find myself in the lurker role, enjoying the opportunity to just read, and having little if anything to say. Thanks for letting me know that you are here.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I do, incidentally, have some good news to share. Although almost totally overshadowed by the bad news, the good news really is quite good. Ironically, was the bad news which brought about the good news. I find that 'silver lining' type thing to be a frequent theme in my life and suspect that the same is likely true of others. It's just important, in the midst of such distress, to keep our eyes open for those occasional glints of silver shining amidst the darkness.

Sense I've already totally and completely trashed my promise to keep the OT stuff off of this thread and to share my personal issues only on my Rants & Raves thread on the Back Porch and because this particular good news has nothing to do with raccoons, I'm going to post the good news info over there (Back Porch). I have to go cook right now, trying my hand at red beans & rice tonight (which will also serve for tomorrow's meals). Back later to share the good news (on the Back Porch not here).

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A few last things (brief) to tidy up here before I go over to the Back Porch:

Amanda: I don't know if I remembered to thank you for the specific info you shared RE the SAD light(s) recently. I have made note of that info for the day when I finally get out of this current jobless/financial mess. Now that I've spilled everything about my situation, I'm guessing you can see that my case of the blues was not totally due to the lack of sunlight, only augmented by it. This will also explain (to all) why I've been a bit erratic lately, sometimes failing to respond to posts and so forth. Just had a LOT on my mind lately.

All: The one other thing I want you all to know is that I didn't tell you all of this to ask you to spend your own money to help me. One of the reasons I kept this dark secret for so long is that I specifically did not want to burden you with my problems or cause you to feel obligated to help. For those who truly want to help, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I cannot overstate that your very desire to help means more to me than the actual gift, I think because it makes me feel cared for and less alone. But please know that I didn't tell my story to ask for anything. You should also know that, at least for the moment, we (furkids & I) all have the essentials: food, water, meds, & a roof over our heads - and are thankful for that.

When I lost my job the 1st time, a few people here at DG helped, and I shall be eternally grateful for their kindness. Again, it wasn't about what they sent, so much as the wonderful, warm feeling of support I felt in knowing I (or rather Kitty, Cocoa, Widget, & I) had such wonderful friends out there. I added the critters to the list, because most sent supplies for them. Still, even as much as I did so appreciate the help and the wonderful feeling of not being alone which came with it, when I found myself jobless once again, I felt conflicted. I just didn't want to seem like I was forever here with a sad story.

This is all very difficult to articulate, and I hope I'm not just making the situation worse and more confused with my babbling. Now that I have opened up about this secret, I would like to be able to share it with you (in words) in just the same way that I shared my interactions with the raccoons and the story of how Kitty & Cocoa went from feral to house cats - but share it on the Back Porch rather than here. I want to share a few of the dark moments but also the silver linings. I want to share what I've learned from this, not all of which is particularly obvious, and how it has changed me.

I want to share these things w/o either of us feeling like I'm asking for anything. I appreciate all of you, just for being there. If you want to send something, I appreciate it, but please, please, please do not feel like anything is necessary or expected.

With that I will now 'retire' to the Back Porch thread to continue the discussion of my current situation. I hope you will consider coming with me if only briefly, because I would like you to hear the particularly good news which came about because of all of this bad stuff. I would also like to share my reflections and some of what I've learned in going through this. I will lead with those 2 subjects, in that order, so that they will be easier to find.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Getting back to the subject of raccoons... while downloading pics from my camera recently, I found a bunch of old, previously unprocessed pics of Desi and the kits. I will be posting some of them as time allows. I don't think they are super wow type shots, but maybe you will enjoy seeing them just the same, sort of a visual review of this past summer.

Also, I think I have a plan for 'creating' some raccoon food, so that we (and they) might enjoy a few more evenings together. Yesterday, I was heartbroken when I reached into the pantry for my bag of cornmeal and found it infested with tiny, reddish brown, scurrying insects which turned out to be flour mites. Per the literature, they most likely hitched a ride to my house on something I brought in, probably something from the grocery store.

I was distraught to think of loosing some 3lbs or so of cornmeal at a time like this. I knew I couldn't eat the cornmeal, but my initial thought was that I might be able to use it in Widget's treats. I hate to admit to that thought, but these are tough times. The bugs hadn't been in there long. There was no sign of eggs, webbing, or any of that yucky stuff, just a handful of nearly microscopic bugs. I figured Widget probably wouldn't mind eating them - hey, we are talking about an animal, adorable though he may be, who licks his butt regularly. That makes a few bugs sound almost tasty. I wrapped the bag tightly and put it in the freezer, where I'm told 3 days will kill the bugs.

Research indicates that while these mites undesirable in pantry staples, they are actually added intentionally to a particular type of cheese to enhance the flavor - and not an inexpensive cheese either. Well, there you go. If the affluent pay to eat them, how bad can they be for the critters. Still, the idea of giving Widget something which might prove harmful didn't sit well with me. That's when I got the idea to use that 1/2 bag of cornmeal to make food for the raccoons, once the bugs are dead, of course.

I don't have anymore meat scraps or even bones to put in it like I do for Widget's treats, but I do have some meat grease/drippings (like from ground beef and such) that I save in the freezer for use in Widget's treats (just a 1/8-1/4c in a gallon or so of treats). Since the raccoons are happy to eat the cheap cat/dog food, they should be fine with just the meat drippings for flavor. I have a few eggs in the fridge. I was trying to save them as long as possible for recipes that required them, but they are a couple of months old now and probably need to go. An egg, some meat drippings, and the cornmeal is all I need to make the equivalent of cheap kibble like the raccoons eat.

Over the years now making Widget's treats, I've got that process quite streamlined now, so that I can make a large batch in little time and with little effort. It will take a little oven time, 30min, but I can plan to make them on a cold night so the oven heat will help to heat the house. It's still quite warm here so far, but we have had a few chilly nights (low 40's). I think this is what I will plan to do with the bug infested cornmeal, which is currently in the freezer.

Having just read your narrative about the excellent beans you cooked, followed by the description of animated cornmeal.... I admire how you continue to view your life & circumstances as an adventure! I believe that your optimism & attitude of gratitude will lead you to new adventures & the road to future success.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much, Liz!

I really love those words. I truly do feel lucky and extremely grateful for the things I do have. I have what I truly need, and that is what matters. In some strange way, I am more grateful now than I was when I had pretty much anything I wanted. That is part of the transformative property of all of this, something I hope to share with all of you in the coming days, weeks, months as time allows.

Just the other day I found myself thinking that all middle class and affluent people, heck maybe every American, should have the 'opportunity' to go through this for a short time, as it truly gives one new found appreciation for the little things most of us take for granted, things like electricity and a roof over your head or even something so seemingly banal as a mere apple or potato. When is the last time you felt truly thrilled to have an apple? In some strange way, really knowing the significance of these 'ordinary' things is a priceless gift in itself.

I used to have something approaching disdain for what I perceived as the rather tasteless, cheap apples in the supermarket. I had too much and could not appreciate what I had. What I wouldn't give for an apple right now. When I ate my last potato, I relished it. Widget looked on hoping for a morsel, but I said, "Sorry, Sport. This is the last potato I may see for a while, and it is delicious. I can't spare even a bite." (His Dr said he shouldn't have them anyhow.)

One day last week while searching the back of the pantry for something to eat, I found a full, sealed, unopened box of Bulgar wheat, clearly a remnant of my vegetarian days. Other than tabbouleh, I had no idea what one could make with Bulgar wheat, but I was SO happy to have it! It had a Best By date of 1999, but I was still like a kid with a new toy. That's what my life is like now. Lots and lots of gratitude. Gratitude for the things I do have, things I took for granted all of my life.

It IS a gift, a very strange and unexpected gift for sure. It is in some ways analogous to what I learned through my experience with Heidi - that sometimes things we don't want, may be gifts in disguise. I truly believe that is true of many 'bad' experiences. The really bad ones like loss of a loved one or finding oneself in poverty are not necessarily any less painful but they often do come with some attached 'benefit' or lesson from which we can benefit if we are open to it. (In the case of Heidi, I tried for a year or so to run her off, because she was eating all of my birdseed and wrecking the feeders. Once I opened myself up to the experience, she and her progeny brought me more joy than the birds ever had. It may not seem at all similar, but to me there is a central thread in many of the things we view as 'bad'.)

Sorry for the long post. I know you are very busy. Thank you for noticing and for acting as a mirror in which I may see myself in a new light. I do strongly believe that a better day will come for me, but I hadn't quite viewed things the way you put them.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I did have a little raccoon visitor earlier today - at 4PM to be more precise! And I came 'this' close to posting this on the Back Porch. See, even I have difficulty keeping track of which part of my life story goes into which thread.

The visitor was one of Desi's kits, now a good sized youngster, a raccoon teenager, if you will. If was alone, so I'm guessing Desi has probably cut the kits loose now. She only has a couple months left to rest up before the whole show starts up all over again in Jan/Feb.

Unfortunately, Widget was outside for his last 'business run' before dark. Like I said, it was 4PM, still daylight. It starts getting dark here around 5-5:30 right now. I was on my way to the patio door to let him back inside, when I saw him hauling butt across the yard, heading for the back fence just as fast as his little legs could go. I knew that was his serious business run, which meant either a cat (other than mine) or a raccoon.

I headed outside as fast as I could to try to retrieve Widget, hopefully before he got himself in trouble. He never considers whether he can actually win a fight before picking one. He weighs about 6lbs now (a tad over his optimum weight), so he doesn't stand a chance in a fight with either a cat or a raccoon. I was about 1/2 way across the yard and calling out to Widget to come when the raccoon, which at that point had already climbed the fence, reappeared at the top of the fence.

The raccoon sat there at the top of the fence looking over at me and then down at Widget who was standing at the bottom of the fence saying, "yo', mamma" or something like that. I suspect that the raccoon reappeared on the fence when he/she did, because it heard my voice. It seemed to be trying to decide how to get back to me (to be fed) w/o having to deal with the dog. I was hoping the raccoon would not decide to come back down the fence, as I could not afford to take Widget to the vet should he tangle with the raccoon. I called Widget. I did not call the raccoon (or Desi).

After a minute or so, the raccoon disappeared behind the fence again, and Widget grudgingly came back to me. Although the raccoons frequently come out in daylight in summer, I did not expect to see one out this time of year. In summer they come out in daylight because (1) they are pregnant/lactating and thus extremely hungry and (2) days are really long then. Being so hungry, they can't wait until 9:30PM to eat. This time of year is different. Their metabolism is much lower and they only need to wait until 5ish. To be out so early, the youngster was almost surely very, very hungry, perhaps having some difficulty finding enough food now that he/she is on its own.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A few minutes ago and nearly an hour since my last post, I went to the kitchen for something. I was barely in there a minute or so when I heard a very familiar and not particularly desirable sound. I almost couldn't believe my own ears, but even before I looked I knew I was going to find a little raccoon climbing on my patio door.

And sure enough when I reached the door, there she was her little belly pressed up against the doorknob. I opened the door about 4-6inches, and there she hung in the gap looking up at me. I told her gently but firmly to get down. She did, too. She dropped right down onto the patio floor and then dove straight through that gap in the door. She was hungry, and she was coming inside to look for treats.

It was a knee-jerk reaction really. I just knew I could not let her come into the house. Between Kitty, Widget, and a young, wild raccoon, all in the house together, that just wouldn't work. In an instant I closed the door on her. I didn't know what else to do. The door caught her mid tummy, but it was her hips that kept her from continuing into the kitchen. It didn't hurt her. I didn't close it hard, just held it tight enough so she couldn't come any farther inside.

She didn't even seem all that scared, even though for the moment she was stuck. Realizing she couldn't get her hips through the door, she tried to back out. Quickly, I grabbed a box off the baker's rack beside the door. I used the box in front of her to block entry just to make sure she didn't come inside. Then I released the door, allowing her to back out. Whew! Was I glad to have her back on the right side of the door - all of her.

I was afraid I had probably ruined are 'friendship' forever, that she would probably run away terrified and never return - and this, btw, was my favorite of Desi's 2013 kits. I held the door just 2-3in ajar, making sure she couldn't get back inside this time, and looked out to see if she was still there.

Not only was she still there, even after being caught in the door, but she was standing there looking up at me with the most adorable and trusting, "Got a cookie?" face ever. Sadly, as you know, I'm totally out of cookies. By this time, I was curious. I mean, she seemed so unbelievably 'tame'. Would she still let me touch her?

I stepped outside. She backed up a few inches but remained directly in front of my feet. Wow. Impressive. I reached out and touched her back, not with my hand but with the compost aerator, basically a long, plastic stick, that had been leaning against the outside baker's rack (I have one inside and one outside, although the outside one has never been very useful except as a jungle gym for young raccoons who enjoy tossing its contents onto the cement floor below). She didn't move, didn't even flinch, so I touched her back with my hand. Still no reaction. I 'petted' her, rubbing my hand along her back, rubbing the fur one way and then the other. Nothing. So then, yes, I gave her a very slight squeeze, but she is much bigger now, so whereas I used to gently squeeze her ribs, this time I just gently squeezed the area along her backbone, kind of the 'pinch an inch' thing. She was remarkably calm and showed no sign of fear.

At this point, please don't hate me, but I went back inside, grabbed a small handful of the cheap, Friskies cat food from the bin (I have tiny hands) and took it back outside to give her. After all that, getting caught in the door, letting me pet her, letting me pinch her, I just thought she deserved a few bites. As she ate, I stood there and gave her a swift talking to about how she's too old now to be climbing on doors and how I really never liked it even when she was a kid and so on and so on. She listened quietly.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As soon as I got back inside I realized I should name her, and I decided on Rascal. Have we had a Rascal yet? I don't think so. My 1st thought was Trouble, following the door incident, but we have most definitely had a Trouble already, and I try to avoid recycling names. That's when I hit upon Rascal. A most fitting moniker, don't you think?

I also decided I need to hurry up and make that raccoon food I mentioned earlier, although now I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or on the Back Porch. I had found tiny, flour mites in my cornmeal and decided to 1st put it in the freezer a few days (more than that now) to kill them and then use it plus a really old egg and some meat drippings to make some raccoon kibble using the same basic method I've perfected for making Widget's treats. I haven't done it yet mostly because I've been waiting for cold weather so the heat of the oven will work for me rather than against me. We've only had the one cold night so far, and I wasn't in the mood that night. I might have to reconsider doing it sooner. It only takes 30min at 350, anyhow, so maybe a coolish night will be sufficient.

I kind of think I'm going to need that raccoon kibble now. Oh, and as I mentioned previously, while such ingredients won't make anything Widget or the cats would likely eat, it should be perfect for raccoon palates - at least, I think so. The reason I think I might need it asap is this. Rascal wasn't the raccoon that showed up at 4PM this afternoon. That raccoon was very timid, which Rascal surely isn't. That raccoon returned after I put Widget away but would not come to me.

So not 1 but 2 of the kits showed up at my house tonight, even though until now I hadn't seen any of them for about 2 months. Oddly coincidental, don't you think, that 2 of them should show up here the same night? My guess is that Desi just cut them loose w/in the last day or two, and by 'cut them loose' I mean told them to 'get lost'. They are probably having some difficulty finding enough food on their own and came back here where they remembered having received food and treats in the past. If I'm right, they will probably be back, so I need to get out that bug riddled cornmeal bake up some vittles for them.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

Poor little things, I would have had to give her something too. That would have been so much fun NOT if she had gotten in. Determined little critter.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Susan,

Yes, I do wish she would stop climbing on the door. It's a door with glass panes separated by those tiny wooden strips the way windows often are. Sorry, don't know the correct name for them. I'm afraid as she gets larger and larger, she will eventually break the wooden strips, since that's what she is using as her ladder of sorts. I can just see her climbing the door next spring when she's carrying a couple of babies. But, sadly, the climbing thing works so well for her, since it does get my attention.

As to her trying to dart inside, it probably seems like by now I would know not to open the door wide enough, but they only need a gap wide enough to get their head through (not very wide at all), and now that she's older, I really thought she would be over that urge to run inside. As tiny babies, they usually don't know any better. By the time they are her age, they are usually afraid of what is inside the house. Of course, by this age they also usually don't let me pet them, much less squeeze them. She is just especially trusting.

After I had gone out there and petted her and she had been so accommodating about everything, it just seemed wrong to walk away without giving her a bite or two. I just gave her a little handful of the Friskies dry food. Tomorrow if I can find the time, I'm going to try to make that raccoon kibble, so I'll have something to give the youngsters if they show up again, something to help tide them over while they learn to forage better on their own. I won't give them a lot, just a handful to keep them from starving but still leave them motivated to forage on their own.

The last few times I drove the car, I saw young raccoons dead on the side of the road just outside my neighborhood. Their moms are cutting them loose now, and when they get desperate for food, they try to cross that busy highway. When I see them, I always wonder if they are 'our' youngsters. It was good today to see that at least 2 of ours are still safe. I would like for them to stay that way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.