mystery plants now blooming in the woods

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Can anyone i.d. these 2 plants? I thought the one with daisy-like flowers would be easy, but I can't find any that have green centers like this. The plants are 3-5 feet tall.
The plant with long white flower clusters (photos 1, 4, 5) is about 18-24 inches tall total, which includes the 12-inch long flower spikes.

Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1 Thumbnail by Muddy1
Cross Timbers, MO(Zone 6a)

#1 is not the same as 4 and 5.
#1 is Wild water pepper, polygonum hydropiperroides
#2 and 3 has got me totally puzzled
#4 and #5 are the same but, again, I am puzzled
In #5 I also see some poison oak, right close to the ground and just to the right. so BE CAREFUL!!! I don't know about you but I am extremely allergic! It is THE most intense, uncontrollable itch I've ever felt in my life!

You would have alot better response on your identification questions if you posted them in the Plant Identification forum, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/ You will get several replies within the day!

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Photos #2 and #3 look like Rudbeckia laciniata.

http://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=rula3

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I took all these photos on county-owned property, but I think wild water pepper is also growing in my neck of the woods. We have a lot of plants with long white flower spikes, and I did notice today that some look pinkish so perhaps that is the other mystery plant. I love the rudbeckia laciniata, and the deer aren't eating it, so I'll try to find some seeds for that or a close relative. I'll try to get better photos of the other plant with long spikey flowers.
About the poison oak - I've had poison oak or ivy rashes 3 times this summer and am being very careful now. Each bout lasted for 3 weeks and was terrible.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Muddy, there are a number of species of plants that produce yellow daisy-like flowers. Some, like Rudbeckia laciniata, have flowers that start out with green centers. Most mature to brown or tan centers. The photo is from my backyard.

Thumbnail by 2gardenkate
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I think Rudbeckia laciniata is a match.
Thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.