Topping Japanese Maple?

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi,

I know we aren't supposed to top Japanese Maples. However, I have a JP, in a container, that was the victim of a falling pine tree branch. It took out one side of the main upper branch of this poor JP. Now, it is so lopsided that it looks like it may be in danger of falling over, at some point in the future.

The tag said it's a Coral Bark, but the bark is only slightly red. I've grown it in a pot for 9 years, so it's about 12 - 15 feet tall. I root pruned it a few years ago, when another branch fell on it & took out a major limb, further down & knocked it down & out of the pot. I know I should move it away from the pine trees, but then it will too much sun. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Liz

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

a picture would help.

I'm attaching two pictures. I appreciate your response!

Sorry, I don't know why these posted upside down, I'll try again!

This message was edited Aug 17, 2013 3:23 PM

Thumbnail by lizzipa Thumbnail by lizzipa

I still think they're messed up, but the right pics this time.

Thumbnail by lizzipa Thumbnail by lizzipa

Sorry, they're right side on my computer...

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

ok - need to hang from ropes to see those pictures - tree looks fine - if anything I would stake it and pull it in the direction you want it to go - leave the stake in for a year and you will be good to go.

Sorry about the contortions to see the pics!

That's a good idea. We staked it, for a year, when it was young & started growing to one side. So, long term, it won't matter that the trunk has major gashes where the branches were sheared off? Now, to find a stake long enough!

Thanks so much wha!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd say that as far as JMs go, the coral bark should be more sun tolerant than a lot of the others so if you can move it away from the pines, even into a little bit of sun, it might help avoid this problem in the future. Your back might be more "coral" colored as a result too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.