Please! Warm me up....any ideas?

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a tropical water lily.........in Michigan!

The weather has not been warming my pond up to the needed 70 + degree mark that the plant requires.....any thoughts on warming it?

All I have found are deicers. I think I need something with a thermostat to produce that temp.

Share your info please.

Marie

noonamah, Australia

What size pond/container do you have it in?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Our desert sun.....

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

You might look at aquarium heaters, if your pool is small enough. If your container is quite large, I dont think you can keep it alive in Michigan over the winter.

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

I bring it indoors during the winter. to a fish tank.
My pond is not deep ....18-24" and not finished, so shallower still.. till completed.
it holds about 1400 gals.

:(

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

If the pond is not in full sun, maybe trimming the trees back so it can get more sun will warm it.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Can you move it and put it in a container pond on the deck? The water will be much shallower and easier for the sun to warm up.

Athens, PA

Quote from MerryMary :
Can you move it and put it in a container pond on the deck? The water will be much shallower and easier for the sun to warm up.

I agree with MM.

Truthfully I am surprised your water has not warmed up enough. I am in zone 5b as well and my pond is quite a bit deeper. Our water temps were in the 80ish range during July - which is cooler than some years as we have had a very rainy summer as well.

Do you know how long the water temps have to sustain a warm temp in order to flower?

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My water lillies from Mittsy are in large basin of fountain in water and it gets very warm but they are not growing. I found 1 had turned to mush today and threw it which made me sad.
When M. Mary comes over I'm sure she will have some words of wisdom for me that might save them. Sure would like to see them grow.
Bonnie

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Bonnie, You need to plant them in heavy soil in a pot then submerge the pot into 12" of water.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I have several tubbies and also small pond so I will do that. I'll put some small rocks on the top to keep dirt from floating out. Don't want to put them in fish ponds cause don't want dirt in there.
Thank you for info.
Bonnie

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I'm going to go against the grain and tell you that I don't plant any of my water lilies. I just pin them down under rocks, in full sun, away from moving water. They bloom like crazy. Now I also plant tropical liles, for the most part. Tina and Panama Pacific has been my favorites, the new plants are formed from the middle of the leaf, so I don't divide the roots.

The lilies I gave to Bonnie are not tropicals.
Mittsy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Mittsy,
They are planted in good soil and sunk into small tubby in full sun. Water is just below the top of pot. Is that OK?
Bonnie

Water should be over the pot at least 10 to 12". Mine are in blooming in 2 to 3 feet of water.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

No problem, I'll just go out and add more water tomorrow morning.
Thanks much for your suggestions.
Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.