Help ! What is killing off my squash and cucumbers.

West Nyack, NY

This is my first veg garden and I am not sure what is killing off my squash. It started with what I thought was powdery mildew. Sprayed with milk and baking soda mixtures to no avail. I have had on zucchini squash this summer and a few cucumbers. What I see now is the stems are turning yellow and soft and eventually the plant breaks off at the base. I am wondering if it is some type of fuserium wilt or bacterial or fungal problem that should keep me from planting in this area. It is really the only spot for a vegetable garden I have. Thanks

Thumbnail by blackeyedsusan1 Thumbnail by blackeyedsusan1
Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

From the picture of the leaf you have powdery mildew. This is a disease that is present almost every year. It can become very seveere and eventually kill the entire plant if not controlled. I havent had much luck with milk and baking soda...but have had some luck with NEEM oil alternated with Serenade. But I have had better luck with Sulfur. Bravo (chlorothalonil) is also very good but all these products must be applied often (7-10 day intervals) and should beging at first sign of disease.

Your other symptoms sound like vine borrers...an insect that gets inside the base or hollow branches of the squash plant. Squash bugs in high enough numbers can also cause similar damage.

Another disease it could be is gummy stem blight. Also just high wind can break off plants occasionally at the base.

West Nyack, NY

Thanks, yes I see the powdery mildew and it has been a very damp and rainy summer so I guess that could only make it worse. I wonder if I do have gummy stem blight because the stems turn pale yellow and soft before I pull them off . I think the powdery mildew killed my watermelon vine as well. I will try neem oil again next year. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.