When to dig?

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

My lilies have gone nuts! They've only been in the barrel for 3 years, and it is stuffed full. I'd like to take some out and move them around, but don't know the best way or time to do it.

I'm surprised there's no sticky with basic care instructions on this forum. Or is it so simple there's no need? Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Pic 1: Casablancas in full bloom

Pic 2: Casablancas starting

Pic 3: Asiatic Centerfold

Pic 4: 2012 Casablanca

Pic 5: 2011 Centerfold blooming, Casablanca in bud

This message was edited Aug 14, 2013 7:00 AM

Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg Thumbnail by Pfg
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Just remember this: lilies are never completely dormant. That's why you can't let them dry out.

When can you move them? Well, I just moved a bunch of Crystal Blancas in bud and bloom from pots to the ground. And they didn't miss a beat. I sometimes move them from the ground to pots to put them on my patio.

Carefully separate them. As long as you move them with plenty of soil, and don't slice them, you can move them whenever you want. Last year I dug up a bunch of regales in bud, put them in a bucket of compost in my car, drove 32 miles and put them in the ground - and they all bloomed. Try your best to get under the entire bulb. It can be better to use your hands than an instrument of any kind. I actually just dump the contents of my pots out onto a soft surface, but your barrels may be too heavy to lift.

As long as you do not let them dry out (or don't slice them), I have found that you can actually fool them into thinking they haven't been disturbed. Give them a weak solution of fertilizer and plenty of water and they'll really respond.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

Thanks! No, I can't move the barrel, it's huge, about chest high, may have been a wine cask. But using my hands makes sense. I want to pot a few up to move around in the garden next year, so I guess I'll wait until they stop blooming. I'm amazed at how quickly 3 bulbs multiplied into that! I did plant with lots of good stuff, but still...

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Some lilies are super tough. I have had them survive on top of the ground all winter until I discovered them and replanted in the spring. These are probably not the same kind you have though!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.