Anyone Know?

Twisp, WA

I let a lot of my flower beds really go for a couple years when I just didn't have the time to keep up with things. I'm now reclaiming them and seeing what is still alive in the jungle of weeds. I had a daylily that was called Nearly Black that was a favorite - dark maroon. In the exact spot where It used to be is now a yellow daylily. Does anyone have any ideas about what may have happened here, or did the daylily fairy come and leave a changeling while I was sleeping?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Could be a seed fell and created a new plant. That happens when pods form and they are not picked off. The plant you are looking for maybe did not bloom this year or worst case scenario it could have died.

Twisp, WA

I'll bet that's what happened because there are actually 2 yellow daylilies fairly close together and I only recall having one there originally and it was not yellow. It likely died but a couple babies popped up instead.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Could be you moved Nearly Black and don't remember? They don't change color, but there may have been a small yellow one growing near it and if nearly black died, (or was moved.) it took over. Are there any other plants in that spot that aren't blooming? It could still be there somewhere.

Twisp, WA

I'm sure I didn't move Nearly Black and the only other daylily I have in my plant list for that area is Apricot Beauty. I planted them both the same year and the spacing looks about like what I would do, but they are both yellow. Neither plant is anywhere near as large as other daylilies I planted the same year in other locations. Very odd indeed. It is directly under a power line and I get lots of volunteer seedlings there from the birds sitting on the lines.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Lauribob,
Only the shadow knows....??? My garden is full of mysteries too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.