Is Every Japanese Maple Grafted?

Warrenton, VA

And if so, why? Why are there high grafts and low? Can't they grow on their own? I've been looking at JMs, and find that every one seems to be grafted. Just wondering-now, don't think I'm attacking this incredible tree, I'm just curious!
I mean, logically, they STILL ARE MAPLE trees, right?
I am seeing grafted JMs that have some lower limb growing of a totally different Maple - does this mean that the grafted stock is sprouting? So, this makes me think that there is a lifetime of battling this "joining."
Inquiring minds want to know! Please inform!
FYI: I keep going back to liking the Vittifolium (sp) type. Anyone out there have one of these> And can you tell me why I am liking it above others? Thanks so much!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

yes almost all are grafted - there are many threads here the cover the topic of why.

Vitifolium is a nice one have several in the group - all have great fall color.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Allot of ?? high grafts are for some dissectums and patio trees I personal;ly don't like them but they do have a purpose for some .. especially if top is grafted on pin bark Jm or you domn't want a cousin it dissectum mound.. high grafts on uprights are usually for patios and containers so you do not get low branching .
Many grafted jms will grow some branches from rootstock but over time they will not .. all bets are off if planted deeply as any other tree it will sprout from the ground . Unless you have hundreds of tiny Jms it is no big deal.
Vitifolium also known as the grape leaf Jm is a nice tree with super large leaves .. it is a Japonicum and a bit hardier than Palmatum but many leaf early are are threatened by late frosts .. there are several other larger leaf Japonicum as well... Otake,Emmitts pumkin,Ruby Red, Aconitifolium etc.. and their are other larger leafed palmatum.. You just like the larger leafed ones I would guess.D-San

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.