what to do after you have dug iris' up because of iris borer

Oskaloosa, IA(Zone 5a)

I could use some help. I have had to dig all my iris' out of my one favorite bed in our front yard. I have a severe hatred of iris borers, and I think with all the rain we got this spring and early summer I had some rot to deal with too. GRRRR!!! Well I was wondering what should be my next steps. I have red about bleach and water. How much water to how much bleach. And then do I try planting them in the same bed? Or should I try and figure where to put a just iris bed? I really liked the look of a mixed bed. But I am not sure what to do next. If you use the same flower bed should you put stuff into the soil before or after you have planted? Sorry for all the questions, I am really frustrated, I really love having iris' but how can I prevent from having to go through this again. HELP PLEASE! Kim

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

After digging, use the hose and a powerful water spray to give them a good cleaning. Trim foliage. Then one part bleach to 9 parts water. Dip rhizomes for 10 minutes then rinse well and air dry. I live on a lake so I don't use chemicals on my property. I amend with compost. I'm sure someone will advise as to replanting.

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree, and ,if it was me, I would plant them where you want them, even back in the same bed. I would use an insecticide, but if you want to stay natural, beneficial Nematodes are an option. I don't grow my iris in mixed beds, but lots of folks do, but I would recommend spreading the plants out a bit, so they get better air flow, and dry a little quicker after a rain. Also, you need to inspect the iris ,stating early in the spring, for signs of borer damage. It's a lot easier to deal with them when they are small, and still in the leaves....Arlyn

South Hamilton, MA

If the borers are still on the plant, they have not laid their eggs, so no need to fumigate soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.