Coffee break #98

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Coming from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1320990/

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Very cool, Jan!

They did a research somewhere & said that people over the age of 55 that drank 2 cups of cocoa a day had less memory loss then people that didn't.

I will stick with my coffee.

Thomaston, CT

Sounds like I need more cocoa....can't remember my own name, I've been so busy this summer!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Happy to see Victor is back. We need stories about your trip west.

I got back from trip to my Mom's cottage up in Canada on Tues. Weather was lousy but had a nice visit with mom and my favorite brother and got to see briefly my nephew and his wife from western Canada which was good too. But too cold to swim. We made our annual pit stop on our way north at the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse with Mom. She wowed John Stage, the owner, when she told him she was 98. I think she would have jumped on his Harley if he had asked her. I have posted a shot. Both my mom and I adore dark chocolate in any form. She is still wicked smart, so I must not be getting enough of it.

Got home to lots of weeds despite a great deal of work done by friends who we had invited to stay in our house while we were gone. I only asked them to water the container plants and veggie bed, but they did lots of deadheading and some serious weeding too. My kind of house guest. They will get invited back for sure next year too. This was their third vacation at our house. Works well for us both. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Me, too, RD.. I'll mix mine with the chocolate and make a mocha. YUMMMMM!!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Agreed on details of Victor's trip.

Great that you had a nice visit, Patti. We had breakfast with the girl who does my hair and one of her ladies. Rose is 97. Jeff could hardly believe it. She is very sharp and very SWEET. He was amazed. She uses on junk food. Not really, but she does like her sweets. The doctor looked at the last ten years and she had only gained one pound. He was concerned about her sugar level. I busted up. Why? At this point in her life let her eat what she wants. She could blow over in a strong gust of wind she is so small.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

So is so awesome Patti! We LOVE Dinosaur BBQ!!!! I love the drunken spicy shrimp

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Welcome back Victor.
Love salty dark chocolate.
Patti you were in our neck of the woods, at least I grew up east of Syracuse
Have fun RVing Jan

Thanks, Deb!

The long-timers on the forum will remember my plan to put a bubbling fountain out front using an 'oil jar' type container. Well, I may finally be close. Just had a receptacle installed out there and found a nice resin pot that fits the bill. Hooray!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I do remember. Can't wait to see it, finally. Patti

Have to start thinking about exactly how to do it.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

That sounds neat Victor!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ya I remember can't wait to see it!

Thomaston, CT

Patti, your Mom looks wonderful! Glad you had such a great family time.....can't wait to see my niece in Pittsford....Victor, the fountain sounds like a great idea, can't wait to see it pulled together. My art teacher & her DH came yesterday & dug up a lot of plants that needed dividing......I was embarrassed that most of the beds were full of grass tall enough to hay!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woohoo, Victor!!

I am sure they oohed and Ahmed, though, at the beauty of your garden, RD. I did!!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Welcome back, Victor! I wondered where you were. Will look forward to pics.

Jan.....what a great idea! Good for you....with the way you go across country every summer, you can't go wrong. We have land on the Hudson in the Adirondacks, but we enjoy the Farm so much, and it requires enough attention that we hardly get to the Adirondacks more than once a year. I think you made the right call! Alaska......woohoo!

Patti, your Mom looks younger every year! She has beauty and character in her face. So happy you had such a nice time and returned to a weed-free home! Great trade!

RD, is there one among us who has no tall weeds anywhere? Yes, I guess there is.....one. 😉 But likely only one!

We are getting ready at the farm for the arrival of the Colorado kids and grandies! Can't wait!

Thomaston, CT

Thanks, Jan, for such a nice comment on my gardens....those that are weeded are just OK....the others are really a wreck! Yes, Louise, if Mr. Bill saw my gardens, he'd pass out, I'm sure! Aren't you fortunate to have the grandies coming! Mine left today for Toronto....will miss them, but it gives me an extra day to weed......

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Enjoy those grandies, DB. I imagine they will have a ball exploring the farm.

An extra day to weed, RD. Heehee.

Took most of the gift cards Jeff got from students, along with a DSW coupon today and went shopping with lunch included. First stop was Great Harvest bread store for a loaf of their breakfast blend bread. Next stop DSW-we each picked up a pair of shoes. Then lunch at Chik FIL A with some left on the card. Then Barnes and Noble where we picked up the definitive book about traveling the Alaska Highway. Then On to Cinnabon. Oh, last stop Home Depot for 3 sheets of plywood. We did have to add a little cash sometimes, but a very good day. If I am missing from DG a little, it's cuz I am knee deep in reading and highlighting the Alaska highway book.

Jeff, on Thursday, was asked to teach a Logic course at his school. 10th graders will take it 3x a week for one semester. So he will have two cycles of the class. Will be interesting.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Also meant to say. YAY for house guests that weed AND deadhead!!!!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Jan23 & DonnieBrook, I just noticed that they polished my grungy old kettle that now looks brand new. Another treat was a that they made a divine lobster stock and froze me a batch to use when I want a good fish soup. How nice was that? Patti

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

VERY nice, Patti! Wow...this font is suddenly huge! How did I do that? I wonder if it will come out this big when I post.

RD.....yes, can't wait, especially for the morning I have them all to myself. I'm glad you got a day to yourself.....but weeding? Why? LOL.

Jan, what a fun day for you and Jeff to go on a shopping/lunch spree! When did kids start giving gift cards to teachers! Nice! I'm sure he deserves them and then some! The planning of your Alaska trip will be such fun! Logic, huh? That will be interesting. Law school courses are based on logic to a great degree.

This is located in Oregon. A friend don't know what it is. It's on a long stem that's about a foot tall. It's on a long stem that's about a foot tall. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

No idea, Sherrie, sorry, but I'd recognize that ivy anywhere. Heehee

How very thoughtful for them to make the stock for you, Patti

Heehee on the gift cards. I used to get mugs and decorative things. He usually gets bow ties, which he loves to wear or baked goods or gift cards.

Oh my!!! This is going to be a L O N G year. Both of us had dreams last night. Jeff was taming lions in the woods and I dreamt about a grizzly bear looking in a cabin at me. I woke up thinking I needed a cast iron frying pan to hit it on the nose.

RD, I tried making eggplant fries like we had at that restaurant, but they were soggy. I'm thinking a regular deep fryer would do them quicker and so more crispy. At least I tried. The ones we had were soooo good.

DS is taking his two boys camping in the Adirondacks. Jeff would have loved to go along with them, but the timing didn't work out. He has to start school. Don't think his administration would appreciate him taking off the first days of school to go camping.

Sellout.woot.com has lots of school stuff.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks like an Anemone

Perseids tonight!

only if you look NE after 11- I will see it in my next life as I sure wont be awake. I have to be to work in the morning.

Thomaston, CT

Sherrie, the flower is a verbascum......don't know which one, though. Great idea with the gift cards....I remember stinky perfume & lots of mugs....many Christmas ornaments as well which I still hang on my tree.

Stung by a yellow jacket tonight. Put meat tenderizer in it immediately, as per my allergist. Works really well. No swelling. Took a Benadryl as well. Red, but not bad at all.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

and you used to have to use an Epi pen?

No - never used it. It's only for a major anaphylactic reaction.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

OH

Meat tenderizer is good on jelly fish stings too...unfortunately had to do that when I was 9, and got stung from elbow to shoulder and on my ankle when we were on vaca in Virginia Beach

Ouch!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

yeah I was screaming, it got me! it got me! all the lifeguards came running

Thomaston, CT

Ouch is right, to any of those stings......had a baby catbird in my garage....could not get him out! Finally, after being in the garage for hours, he flew behind the garbage can, & I was able to shoo him out......he's the same one caught on my porch the other day....one really dumb bird.....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Poor bird!

Can't believe my baby girl is 7 years old today!!!
She used to be so sweet and quiet!

Thumbnail by flowAjen
South Hamilton, MA

Girls do get bouncy. There were 3 here only one still in her 40s.

You can teach logic to 10th graders?

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Aww Jen how sweet!

We bought a new car, 2009 Cheep Commander, picking it up in a bit. I've been driving the same truck for 12 years, thought it was time. I'll miss the old gal though. This one is a bit bigger and can fit the grandkids and the dogs together. Most people are age are buying sporty new cars!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hahaha, he will see if he can teach logic to 10th graders.

Yay, Ronnie!! We factored in grandies when we got our minivan a few years ago. Besides that it can hold a sheet of plywood easily when the stow n go seats are pushed down.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.