no blooms, keep waiting?

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

I have 8 tomato plants. They are all growing nicely & are about 2-3' tall & green but absolutely none have blooms. I planted them about 6-8 weeks ago. I live in central Florida & although I keep reading that tomatoes love the sun & heat, I'm also reading that they wont bloom if it's TOO hot. So my question is if they are not blooming because of the heat, can I leave them alone & they'll eventually bloom when the weather gets cooler? Or do I give up, pull them, & start again in October when it cools down on my area?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Keep 'em comfortable, and when the weather changes, you might be surprised!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It's hard to imagine tomatoes growing in FL in August and I'm a native Floridian. If you've got tomatoes thriving keep doing what you are doing and wait 'til weather cools in October. Rather than pull them up I'd start new ones now as well. Make sure they are indeterminate for your winter season.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I had the same problem about a month ago and put Bloom fertilizer on them. Have beautiful big tomatoes now. Problem is they are not ripening and going to be out of season soon. Oh, think it was 10-52-10, or some such thing. Doesn't matter as long as it has the high middle one. The P in NPK.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

Bring in the green ones. Wrap in newspaper (antispectic). Store in paper bags. Pull out ripe tomatoes in late fall as you need them.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Yes, I know there are many ways to ripen, but they don't have the flavor of the sun and heat outside. Last year I put one in a bag with a banana peel and it ripened real fast. Just experimenting.

Belleair, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks for all the answers. I finally have 3-4 blooms so maybe I'll get some tomatoes. If they don't ripen then I can try the newspaper or paper bag trick! Thanks!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.