ID this "red" flowered hydrangea

(Zone 4b)

I bought this unnamed hydrangea in 2010 (or maybe 2011). I recall at the time there was no tag but it was in flower and the dark pink flowers were appealing. After*no* flowers last year and the year prior I decided to wrap it in burlap this past winter and coincidence or not it has flowered for the first time. Any ideas as to its name?

Thumbnail by rouge21 Thumbnail by rouge21
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wish I did but I don't have any idea. Did you ever get a name for it?

(Zone 4b)

I didn't pirl. But thanks for reviving this too quiet thread. By coincidence just this past weekend I did some winter protection on it. See here:

http://www.nuvueproducts.com/framed_shrub_covers.html

That's a great idea. How is it held in place so it won't blow away? Are there anchoring pins of some kind?

(Zone 4b)

You are exactly right. There are 4 plastic anchoring pins; one for each corner...much like pins for a tent. I used it last year and it held down just fine all winter. This winter I am protecting 2 hydrangeas this way. This unnamed one and a smaller "Tuff Stuff" (serrata i.e. lacecap).

Wonderful. Those anchors work well.

I hope many people will see what you did to help save their hydrangeas.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

rouge21

I love it, but don't know the name to help you out. You might, should you have time, check online with sellers pictures to see if you can find the name or take a picture back to where you purchased it from and ask them to ID it.

hay in your first picture, I can't remember the name of that plant that is to the left of the hydrangea is beautiful but very invasive, so be careful with it. When I lived in northern Oh I got one and before the year was out it was overtaking my front flower bed. It sends out and pops up all over the place and it is so hard to get rid of.

Jan

(Zone 4b)

Quote from meadowyck :
hay in your first picture, I can't remember the name of that plant that is to the left of the hydrangea is beautiful but very invasive, so be careful with it.

Thanks for looking that closely Jan.

It is "Goutweed" and for sure it is a spreader. But I find it relatively easy to keep it in check.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

glad to hear it isn't a problem it must be your zone that is helping out, as I was in 5b/almost 6a at times.

Jan

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I loved the picture of "bambi" "thumper" and the bird in the advertisement for your plant protectors. You can almost hear them.."hum, what is this? How do we get around it?" LOL!

Center, TX

Hi everyone, I've heard that there is something you can put on the hydrangeas to change the color. The blue can become pink and the pink can be made blue.What is the stuff that you put on the roots for this effect? Some say red brick crushed up and then some say bluing is used at the roots for blue, Does anyone know what to use? Let me know. Alda

Read this for the help you need and realize nothing works as quickly as you might wish it would and some hydrangeas cannot be changed.

http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/colorchange.html

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

Great article, thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.